how can we have a democracy when the only people wo can run are those with obscene amounts of money?

how can we expect the intrests of the poor and middle class to be protected when this country is run by rich white guys. despite what we are told this country is run by the elite and we the people are left with little choice to who governs us

Update:

actually yes my solution would be a government regulated campaign system. essential anyone who wants to run would have to get a certain amount of signitures as is already done then if they meet certain qualifications they may be alloted a certain amount of money to with what they please. so private funds should be allowed.

Update 2:

actually yes my solution would be a government regulated campaign system. essential anyone who wants to run would have to get a certain amount of signitures as is already done then if they meet certain qualifications they may be alloted a certain amount of money to with what they please. so private funds should be allowed.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well anyone can technically run for president, but if a wealthy opponent runs he can spend his billions on advertising while you only have a few thousand dollars raised. Why not limit how much money they can spend? Has been tried but then you're trampling on the First Amendment. Would a poor man from Wyoming have enough money to fund a large campaign? Also, a government run campaigning system would be a disaster - no one would care if a person got elected so the system would crash. Also, since most Americans only vote among the major two parties you would have a hard time breaking that system as you can't ban the right to assemble. As noble as your idea sounds it is filled with problems, and technically anyone can run for president (Ross Perot??) but you need money, just like every other occupation in the world.

Source(s): Life
  • 1 decade ago

Your suggested solution has merit. The only way forward in reforming the US system is to severely curtail campaign contributions and the amount that can be spent per registered voter, and a much stricter regulation of lobbying in Washington so that the activities of lobbyists are 100% transparent. This may not cure the problem completely, but it would lessen the amount of corruption in the present system

• 1 decade ago

That's just it. Democracy is nonexistent. Democracy is a false hope set forth by the evil government. There is no true freedom in my world.

• 1 decade ago

democracy was taken from the greeks a long time ago and i dont really understand it though

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Exactly. Got any viable solutions?

• 1 decade ago

some will telll you we are not a democracy...that we are a republic. But they wont tell you why then are we spreadind democracy if we are not one.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.