Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why won't the Republican candidates condemn the confederate flag?

I thought the Republican Party was "the Party of Lincoln."

Since when did they become the "state-rights" party and why are they kissing up to confederate flag waving southerners, when the original party was dominated by northeastern radicals, progressives, and liberals?

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007May11/0,4670,Conf...

Best Answer

They speak of freedom of speech? Ha! Ha! Ha! The Republican party wants to restrict your first amendment rights and they've proved it by shooting, beating and arresting public protesters. The confederate flag represents the biggest group of traitors that this country has ever known. They took arms against the United States of America for their own petty prejudices. It is typical and not surprising that the radical conservatives on this board and the GOP stand behind that rag...

think approximately to be between the main perplexed human beings ever, the two that or a robust spin well being practitioner. The state's have rights to compliment the thank you to run their guy or woman state, what's criminal in long island possibly unlawful in New Mexico. the way it incredibly works, and consistently has. The state has the perfect to compliment in the event that they are going to fly the accomplice flag or the Governors boxers. organic and easy. And no Republican has come out and condemned the flag because of the fact it incredibly is not what politicians do. i've got not seen any Democratic political applicants condemn the flag the two. it's time to go on guy.

Pretty good point. The South certainly has many things to be proud about, but the Civil War, the costliest, bloodiest war in US history, is not one of them.

Only free speech laws (which Conservatives usually don't support in other cases) kept the confederate flag from being declared illegal. It just shows they will put on any charade to get votes. (Ever seen that clip of Bush trying to hold a hammer? It's hilarious!)

• Daniel

Well, I have seen people who cant point Africa on a map wave a flag from Africa. I also see quite a few of Mexican flags. So, what's your point? You hate Southern history? That flag represents standing up to the man, although I obviously dont agree with slavery.

Source(s): Im a proud but not ignorant Southerner.

Only a piece of cloth is it. For much longer did the stars and stripes fly over the heads of slaves. Slaves did Ulysses S. Grant "own".

Keep a confederate flag in my pocket I do... Blow my nose I might need to.

Why worry about a flag that's meant nothing for almost 150 years? Why won't Democrat candidates condemn burning the American flag?

I'm from the north and I think the south has a very rich history and for your information Republicans do believe in states rights. In fact they believe states should have more rights.

I am willing to bet that you have no problem though with Mexicans flying the Mexican flag though do you?. Tell me is the inability to think straight a prerequisite for Dems?

• why should we? let people enjoy the freedom they want. Why should I tell them they can or cant have a confederate flag?

I think you mean the Rebel Flag and there is nothing wrong with it.