Can you believe this Elvira Arellano became an activist at last feported to Mexico?

LOS ANGELES - An illegal immigrant who took refuge in a Chicago church for a year to avoid being separated from her U.S.-born son has been deported to Mexico, the church's pastor said. Elvira Arellano became an activist and a national symbol for illegal immigrant parents as she defied her deportation order and spoke out from her religious sanctuary. She held a news conference last week to announce that she would finally leave the church to try to lobby U.S. lawmakers for change.U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement confirmed her Sunday arrest. Spokeswoman Gail Montenegro said the agency would have further details on the deportation later Monday.

Arellano is staying with a friend in Tijuana, Coleman said. He said she had brought to light her struggle, and for that, "she has won a victory."

"She'll be organizing on the Mexican side of the border while we're organizing in the (United) States," Coleman said Monday. "She'll be talking to organizations throughout Mexico and congressmen in Mexico City."

Coleman said he and other activists will continue Arellano's original plan to go to Washington, D.C., and take part in a prayer meeting and rally for immigration reform at the Capitol on Sept. 12.

Immigration activists promised protests and vigils to support Arellano.

"We are sad, but at the same time we are angry," said Javier Rodriguez, a Chicago immigration activist who worked with Arellano. "How dare they arrest this woman?"

Anti-illegal immigrant groups said the arrest was long overdue.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070820/ap_on_re_us/im...

If she illegally enters again, and so much shows up in public, ICE will have to go after her immediately just to save face. If not, they will forever be a laughing stock.

I actually hope she tries it. I'd love to see the standoff, and end result. Except this time, put her up in Arizona tent city, then deport her again.

Favorite Answer

It is well past time that Elvira was deported again. However, how will we insure that she doesn't turn right around and come back again? Rumor has it that she is pregnant again (taking sanctuary in a church and having illegitimate children -- how religious is that?) On the news this morning, she absolutely looks pregnant again. If she comes back again, I think she should be made a real example of. Three times your out and she should be sent to prison for the rest of her life. Personally, I'd like to see her put in stocks on display on the Capitol steps with placards surrounding her explaining in English and Spanish how illegal is illegal is illegal and you can't be a law-abiding citizens or a law-abiding immigrant if you are here illegally. Everything and illegal does is illegal, working, living here illegally, etc. In Elvira's case, she is also guilty of child abuse and indoctrination. If a religious cult indoctrinated their children, how fast do you think the government would be on them for child abuse and child endangerment? Saul was seen and videotaped giving a speech to a group in LA and he comes across as a little militant law-breaker who needs to be placed in juvenile hall. Emma Lozano, the boy's guardian should, herself, be placed in jail for aiding and abetting a fugitive, inciting riots and insurrection, harboring a fugitive, contributing to the delinquency and lawlessness of a minor, blatant disregard for the laws of the land, mob actions, telephone and wire fraud, postal fraud, and more. Walter Coleman is also aiding and abetting the fugitive as is Mrs. Jesse Jackson and others who are supporting her. Did you notice that Alderman Munoz (and wasn't it his father who was recently arrested fo) making and selling false I.D.'s?) is vowing to fight for Elvira? Since when are our elected officials allowed to fight for criminals and lawbreakers and ignore the law? When are we going to arrest Munoz and all the others who are similarly situated to Elvira?

**I agree, it was about time that they sent this woman packing. Disgusting that she never even tried to learn English. What I found interesting is the following:

So, if she is going to be talking to the Mexican congressmen in Mexico City, perhaps she could ask if her US citizen son could live in Mexico until he turns 18 (or whenever she/he feel that he is old enough to come back on own) so that she can focus her time and efforts on getting herself here the legal way if that is what she wants to do. I think they should give all of them in this predicament the same option since the Illegal offender needs to go.

Oh, btw, Sheriff Joe would have no problem putting her in Tent City. He just recently cut off all illegals from visiting their kin that are in the jails. I applaud this move! Go Joe!

Because she doesn't care about Mexico. She would rather try to force Calderon to try to change the Immigration laws in USA so she can come back and get all of her freebies instead of trying to put Mexico on the spot for ignoring their own people for so long. It sickens me what this woman is doing. She came here illegally, was deported. Came back, stole someone's identity (something we would be thrown in prison for!) then ran and hid like a child when she got caught. Whats even worse is, she has politicians and many us citizens approval.

I live in Chicago and trust me, she was gently hinted to go to LA, you know, "for the cause". FBI didnt want her arrest to occur here, but in LA, who cares, there's 10's of 100's of illegals trucked back across the border every day.

My question is, why didnt she try to go about becoming a citizen the right way...before her son was born or even after? No, she has to keep rubbing everyone's face in it. And the most galling of all is....SHE NEVER SPOKE A WORD OF ENGLISH in any of the television stories (and we had TONS here!)...NEVER tried to speak the language, never tried to assimilate. It's like she wanted all the benefits without the work.

Oh wait, that's the whole argument, isnt it?

Good bye and good riddance.

I'm glad they finally deported her. Now they need to do the same to all the others. What pisses me off is that all these illegals have the same mind set as her. They break the law to come here knowing the consequences. then when they do get deported, and separated from their families, then try to make themselves out to be the victims. We didn't force them to break the law to come over here. We also didn't force them to have children. They should have thought about that before they did what they did. I have no remorse for these people.

She deserved to be deported!!! She has no rights here. And i cant believe Rodriguez said how dare we arrest this woman? The nerve of that guy!! She was already deported once for using a false SSN. Thats another criminal offense . How dare that women come to our country!!!!!

I was surprised to hear she was deported. If she wanted "sanctuary" maybe she should of stayed in that Chicago church and not attended those demonstrations in Washington and LA. Now her son should be allowed to join her or stay in the US. Awful for him, but deporting his criminal mother is right thing to do.

These illegals could use a tad more humility. Their arrogance will work against them.

It's about time. I think the rest of them need to start packing their bags too. If they like we can open up both sides of the road for southbound traffic into the border if it will speed things up.

about damn time! unlike the first guy on here I do not hate Mexicans...leave hate to the ignorant. I'm going to think he probably meant Illegal Immigrants!

unrattle_snake: it 12 million illegals, the mumber 30 million is for the other hispanics that live here legally...ME!