Please help with spider identification...?

I found a large spider in my bathroom. Not sure what kind it is or what kind of threats it poses. Any help with its identification would be appreciated. To view the spider, go here http://www.geocities.com/fscarberry20/Spider.JPG

FYI: I live in central OH.

Favorite Answer

I believe that is a breed of american wolf spider. The large, hairy pedipalps are distinctive identifiers of the wolf spider family (there are over 80 sub phylums). Non web forming. Very mildly toxic to humans...itchy bump. Many people purposely catch wolf spiders and release them in basements and garages and attics as they are territorial and will hunt down and kill venomous spiders like black widow, fiddlebacks and similar types....they are actually trainable and are often kept as pets...my father notably had several of them. They travel throughout their territory as mobil hunters and will kill roaches, silverfish, and even small centipedes.

If it bothers you, let it do pest control in your garden or yard.

EDIT: After doing a bit more research, I believe it is a grass spider too...very, very similar in appearance to several wolf spider breeds....also harmless to us and good pest controlers. What threw me was the location...wolf spiders like to come into houses and grass spiders very rarely will enter a home.

Source(s): amature entomologist
  • Ruby

Google brown recluse spiders to see pictures of them. I've been thinking quite a bit about brown recluse spiders myself today and have decided to order some glue traps to place around my house to trap any spiders that may be present. Then I can either reassure myself that I don't have the brown recluse or I can have the information I need to try to rid my house of a dangerous pest. And despite being a bio teacher, I am terrified of spiders, too. I'd rather see a snake or a mouse in my room any day.

Details of the color markings are not visible, but the outline of

the body makes it almost certain that this is an agelenid

spider, the one called funnel or grass spider. The one you

found could be either Tegenaria domestica (not Tegenaria

gigantea in that part of the country) or one of several species

of the genus Agelenopsis that occur in Ohio. They are fastrunning and large enough to be somewhat intimidating,

but quite harmless.

Can't really see the markings on it or tell i it is black or dark brown. It looks a lot like a male hobo - but I think you're in the wrong area for them. Closest would be a wolf or grass spider.

Here's a chart with pics, descriptions and bite treatments, etc

http://www.termite.com/spider-identification.html

Hope it's helpful.

Nasty looking lil sucker :-)

Looks like a wolf spider Essentially harmless, but I would get him out of the bath room (capture in a jar . . . take out side and release in the garden).

i think it is a Tegenaria Gigantea which is also known as a house spider or a barn spider. they are harmless but scary looking.they usually come around in mid august

you can also look at http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/Questions/spider_...

to make sure

Yeah, it's a 'Grass or Funnel' Spider. No Doubt about it.

It is a wolf spider.

• Senza

here it is.

I thought wolf spider too (not harmless) but it's a funnel spider.

i live there 2 and that look poisionous i wouldnt play with that thing. maybe a exterminator can help get rid of it.