Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should the U.S. Department of Justice join the Legislative Branch as a quasi-congressional agency e.g. GAO?

Serious answers please!

Would a constitutional amendment be needed?

I have seen fiction like: 24 (Season Five), The Bourne Ultimatum, Shooter, The Pelican Brief, The Manchurian Candidate, and V for Vendetta. I know that these things are fictional, but wouldn't you feel better if power was shared between 535 instead of 1. Nixon basically fired his AG and any President can do the same if he or she wishes. In a way, the AG is the most important individual in America.

I think the Framers intended for Congress to have somewhat more power than the President or Supreme Court, even with checks-and-balances. And the Founders even check-and-balanced the Legislative Branch itself with two distinct houses. However "real" power lies in the Senate, especially because of the 17th Amendment.

In a related matter I strongly believe that the unitary executive theory is dangerous and a load of crap. Presidents should not have the executive privilege to lie to Congress, DEM or REP.

Favorite Answer

The Bureaucracy runs the government hence the Executive branch. In my opinion, depends on how the public sees it.

• Mike W

Attorney General is a cabinet post, so it's pretty heavily rooted in the Executive branch.

edit: I should also add that the US Attorney General is the chief law enforcement officer in the United States Government. Law enforcement is a function of the Executive Branch.

I'm not sure why the President should have to lie about anything, the Supreme Court ruled that presidential communications are protected by privilege, which was ruled fundamental to the separation of powers under the Constitution. Unless it's part of a criminal investigation the Congress has no authority to order the President to turn over any of his presidential communications.

Article 2, section 2... "He shall have potential, by skill of and with the suggestion and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided 2 thirds of the Senators recent concur; and he shall nominate, and by skill of and with the suggestion and Consent of the Senate, shall rent Ambassadors, different public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the wonderful courtroom, and all different officers of the U. S., whose Appointments at the instant are not herein in any different case provided for, and which would be commonly used by skill of regulation: however the Congress could by skill of regulation vest the Appointment of such inferior officers, as they think of ideal, interior the President on my own, interior the Courts of regulation, or interior the Heads of Departments." Key element seems to be 'and all different officers of the U. S., whose Appointments at the instant are not herein in any different case provided for'. i think of Congress don't have greater potential over the wonderful courtroom. As Congress is situation to the whims of the day, the wonderful courtroom could be empowered to halt politically expedient assaults on the form. lower back on your customary question; confident. replace could be mandatory.