Should the U.S. Department of Justice join the Legislative Branch as a quasi-congressional agency e.g. GAO?

Serious answers please! Would a constitutional amendment be needed? I have seen fiction like: 24 (Season Five), The Bourne Ultimatum, Shooter, The Pelican Brief, The Manchurian Candidate, and V for Vendetta. I know that these things are fictional, but wouldn't you feel better if power was shared between... show more Serious answers please!

Would a constitutional amendment be needed?

I have seen fiction like: 24 (Season Five), The Bourne Ultimatum, Shooter, The Pelican Brief, The Manchurian Candidate, and V for Vendetta. I know that these things are fictional, but wouldn't you feel better if power was shared between 535 instead of 1. Nixon basically fired his AG and any President can do the same if he or she wishes. In a way, the AG is the most important individual in America.

I think the Framers intended for Congress to have somewhat more power than the President or Supreme Court, even with checks-and-balances. And the Founders even check-and-balanced the Legislative Branch itself with two distinct houses. However "real" power lies in the Senate, especially because of the 17th Amendment.

In a related matter I strongly believe that the unitary executive theory is dangerous and a load of crap. Presidents should not have the executive privilege to lie to Congress, DEM or REP.