Jimmy Smith vs. Jimi Hendrix?

Is my obsession with The Incredible Jimmy Smith justified?

After all, Jimmy Smith is the Jimi Hendrix of the Hammond B-3 organ, his solos just as wild and wandering and innovative and passionate as Hendrix's. Just wanted to hear everybody else's opinion. If you disagree, that's fine. However, if you disagree with me, you are wrong.

(I was also wondering why he isn't more popular? Are most people deaf or just plain ignorant?)

Favorite Answer

It's not a feasable competition at all man. Music isn't competition...

You can't compare them anyways- two styles, two different genres, two different schools of playing. Hell, you can't even compare John Coltrane and Michael Brecker to eachother.

I agree with the others, way too different. The reason Jimi Hendrix was so big is, he did things with the guitar which had never been done before. He was very innovative to the point of being revolutionary. He changed the course of guitar playing from that point onward. Jimmy Smith is 'The Man' of the Hammond B-3. Not to diminish his influence, but he didn't radically break new ground the way Jimi Hendrix did on the guitar. Actually, Jimi Hendrix wasn't popular in the U.S. at first, it wasn't until he performed in Europe that he became famous. Then he went on to perform in front of thousands of people. It isn't that Jimmy Smith isn't as good a player, he just didn't have the exposure and publicity that Jimi Hendrix had. Among Hammond B-3 players, though, he will always be the king.

I love both Smith and Hendrix. However, I am partial to Hendrix because I am a guitar player. I love his song "Bold As Love". But Jimmy Smith is awesome too. My dad plays the keyboard and the organ. He pretty much worships the Hammond B-3. I think Jimi Hendrix is more popular than Jimmy Smith because in today's world, if you play guitar you're "cool", and organ players aren't "cool." It's pretty stupid if you ask me. Also, the number of organ players has diminished in the past couple of years. I sure hope they make a comeback.

I think the answerers missed the point here - you aren't trying to compare Jimi with Jimmy, you seem to be saying that they were both virtuosos of their respective instruments and to that, I totally agree.

It is completely justified to be obsessed with Jimmy Smith's playing - he was a master. In my opinion, nobody else came close to his feel, his soulness and his ability to either swing or rock his *** off. I own numerous albums by Jimmy Smith and let's face it, he had a much longer recording career than Jimi Hendrix. I can only think of a few Hendrix albums that are worth framing.

Jimmy Smith is very popular with the jazz crowd, but seemingly less in other circles. If you would like to convince rock or blues fans to listen, play his "Dot Com Blues" CD. If that doesn't win them over, they are either deaf or ignorant!

Your obsession is fully justified - Jimmy Smith rocked. I would only take issue that there is any 'vs. Hendrix' involved, in that neither can be said to compete with the other.

The reason why I only own one Smith CD is that I don't like the sound of the Hammond, but that's just me. He was still a fab player.

I don't know if I would compared Jimmy Smith to Jimi Hendrix to different I did like the music of both gentlemen.

• Teaim

Jimmy Hendrix is the Rahsaan Roland kirk of the electric guitar. Its very obvious, just listen. Jimi often said how much he liked Kirk's playing.

There is a cassette of the two of them playing toghether. Their styles are very much the same, but Kirk is the one who influenced Hendrix.

I don't know what you are talking about regarding Jimmy Smith's recognition. He is considered a legend among those interested in jazz.

Hendrix is closer to Coltrane: playing his new perceptions so loud that everyone had to hear him, but no one could do any better than trying to imitate the result for a long time.

Smith, on the other hand, was one of the few people who could improvise on the fly as fast and as intelligently as Charlie Parker. Try Damn!, which was one of his last albums. (On Verve, with a cast of Young Lions, as they used to be called back then.)

that's like comparing Bach with melattica, I think the comparison is pointless, Like them both for different reasons, Smith is a great player, ( and a nice guy) Hendrix, while in my opinion, not a great technical guitarist, had a great affinity for the style he was playing,

• Lefty

apples and oranges..two different genres