Using the performance tab in Windows Task Manager, how can I tell if I need to add memory to my PC?

I'm tuning up my PC and I'm wondering if I need more memory and I'm hoping the performance tab in the Windows Task Manager can tell me. How do I read the Physical Memory, Kernel Memory and Commit Charge information to determine if I need to add memory?

Thanks!

I'm just trying to figure out how to interpret the data on the Performance Tab in the XP Task Manager. I'm already familiar with the generic ballpark guidelines, but I'm looking for someone who knows how to interpret the data in task manager.

Let me know if anyone has this knowledge. Thanks!

• iMaXX
    Favorite Answer

Nice Question! i understood wht ur asking...

Ok First See the Physical Memory(K) where Total means Ur Toral Memory(RAM), Available means which is available to work. And cache is Page memory system has created on ur hard disk.

Now see for Commit Charge(K) menu here Check for Total = xxxxx (numbers). The numbers u r seeing is the total memory is in use by ur system.

And following is the rule of memory updation.

"When Ur Commit charge total becomes higher than ur Physical memory Total's.... that's the time of upgrade ur system's memory."

When commit charge becomes higher than ur available memory, it wastes processor cycle due to unavailable of data in memory at the time, which is waiting for finish of current task. So it is better to upgrade memory as ur usage.

It really all depends on what software you are using. High end 3D games with large maps will most liekly require you to have a lot fo RAM.

Word Processing and Office software really does not rewuire that much RAM.

Video , Photo and Audio Post Production and Multimedia Design requires you to have a lot of RAM.

To find out how much RAM your PC has, and your Kernal memory do the following:

Click START---------Run---------

In the dialogue box that comes up type in the word "dxdiag" without the quotes of course. This will open up the Direct X Diagnostic Tool. It will check yuor PC for all the specifications that you require to know about.

Hope I helped in some way.

I will acually answer you question:

Using taks manager go to the Performance TAB, look at the ammount of RAM that is being used up, it if is near the top it may be time to upgrade the RAM, now try doing this while opening a large program like photoshop CS3.

Hope that helps

Mike

it depends on the operating system you use and types of programs you use.. if you are using and more graphics programs or 3d games.. its better to add more than 256 MB RAM

for xp if u have less than 512 u need more .. 1 gig is about ryt unless u game alot then get 2 ... for vista it needs about 2 and 3 if u game ...

just click your start tab go to settings ..then control panel then go to system and click on performance and then click system resources and that will show what you have