Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 decade ago

What does a Equity Principal Audition mean?

Please answer!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Ashley
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

EPA's are basically union open calls. The difference between EPA's and non-unions open calls, is that Equity theatre's are actually required by the union to hold them, so a play may in fact already be cast when an EPA is held - the theatre is doing it because they have to.

Contrary to how it sounds, non-union actors CAN go to the auditions. You just may not be seen. It's up to the director and how many union people they have to see (Equity actors will be able to make appointments, whereas non-union actors will just have to show up and wait).

Same thing for Broadway. Technically all the auditions are Equity, but anyone can go and wait in line and try to be seen. For the big ones, like Les Mis, it's just a crapshoot if you actually will be or not.

Check out www.actorsequity.org for casting notices.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Equity Principal Auditions

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Equity refers to the Union that the Producers are a signatory of, Principal means one of the lead roles or a very important part and audition, well, you know what that means. You cannot go to the audition unless you are a member of Actors Equity. See the link below

• 5 years ago

Regarding whether or not a non-Equity actor may audition: Here's the problem with SAG/SAG-AFTRA's "Global Rule One" that states that a member of ANY of the actors' unions may not do non-union work - So I belong to SAG. I do not belong to Equity. So as a non-Equity member I'm either not allowed to audition or I may try to be seen, but it's at the discretion of the audition runners whether or not they want to see, or have time to see the non-Equity/no-sign-up-list actors. No wonder it's so hard to make a living as a working actor, regardless of talent.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I believe they are actors that are already members of the actors union:

http://www.actorsequity.org/AboutEquity/aboutequit...

They indicate that at audition, the equity (union) principal (main characters) actors {epa's} audition first and non epa's audition second.

http://www.actorsequity.org/docs/auditions/Princip...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.