What side of the vacuum bags goes face up? the smooth side or the rough side.It is not pulling a vacuum.?

For some unknown reason my 11"X18' roll is giving me a problem.I am following directions and leaving 3" to go into the drip tray and still no results. Do I have a defective model VS240 ? I purchased this at Kohls in May of '07. could it be I have defective rolls? I bought 4 packages each with... show more For some unknown reason my 11"X18' roll is giving me a problem.I am following directions and leaving 3" to go into the drip tray and still no results. Do I have a defective model VS240 ?
I purchased this at Kohls in May of '07. could it be I have defective rolls? I bought 4 packages each with 2-11"X18'=144ft.
The rolls that came with the machine was rough on both sides and the new one's are smooth on one side and rough on the other.What am I doing wrong?