TTC#2
TTC#2 asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Is there anything that a cat can pass onto a human?

I just got a cat and realized it has a cold or something. It is sneezing and has a runny nose. It was an inside cat and we have it outside. We aren't aloud to have cats inside. Is there something I can give it or will it just go away? Can it pass anything onto humans? I don't want my baby to get sick from it. Thanks in advance!!!

I want this cat. I just bought it!

Favorite Answer

It sounds like your cat has a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection) and whilst this cannot be passed on to humans it is very contagious to other cats and may then infect other neighborhood cats. If this was an indoor cat it will have low immunity to common cat illnesses and has now buy the sounds of it picked up a URI as a result of you leaving it outside. I really think you should contact your local animal shelter (which can be found at www.petfinder.com) and have them come and pick it up. they can then find it a nice home where it can curl up in someones lap where it belongs.

I am sorry but why get an indoor cat that you can not keep indoors?

Ever hear of toxoplasmosis? Ringworm fungus can be passed to humans, as can parasites such as fleas, tape worm and ringworm, which is really a fungus. There are probably others, too. The chances that your cat will pick up these diseases increases greatly when the cat is outdoors. An outdoors cat comes in contact with other cats and that is probably where your cat got his upper respiratory infection. This can lead to pneumonia, which can lead to death. Inside cats live longer than outside cats, so you're not doing your cat a favor by having it outside 100% of the time, particularly since he was previously an inside cat. He may learn to cope outdoors, but he may not. Some animals consider cats prey (lunch) and an inside cat may not know enough to be wary. Some dogs and coyotes come to mind. Then there are humans who are cruel to cats and he could also get run over. You also need to think about the possibility that your cat may show up on someone's doorstep who lets him inside. Animal Control could pick him up, too. Then your cat will not come home. I'm curious -- how attached are you to this cat, since you call the cat "it"? If you're worried about the cat passing something to your baby, it's a valid concern. Perhaps you should find a new home for kitty.

There are a number of species-crossing bacteria's and viruses that can be passed back and forth between humans and cat- and dogs. I've noticed that if any of my three cats catch a cold, I often catch it too, and vice-versa. But not always- only about half the time.

Strep throat, especially with dogs. Of course they can pass on rabies, disentary, and some other common short-term maladies. Notably, most of the common diseases that pets such as cats can pass on are not a serious matter. It's the diseases from exotic pets that people have to worry about more.

It MUST be noted however that PREGNANT women should NOT deal with the chore of emptying litter boxes, because they harbor bacterias that can actually harm an unborn baby! This has been known for several decades.

For information on many specific cat diseases, go to- http://www.catcustomer.com/veterinary . There's also a condition known as 'cat scratch disease'- described here at; http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/diseases/catscratch... . The following link may also help; http://www.righthealth.com - search for 'cat diseases'.

~ Jon

It needs to go to the vet...sounds like it has an upper respiratory infection. It will need a dose of antibiotics. There is not a whole lot you can get from a cat..most diseases are species specific meaning they can only be passed from cat to cat or human to human. There are certain worms, and fungus that can be transfered to human, and rabies. If you are so concerned about picking up something from your cat...you should NOT have it outdoors...much more likely to pick up parasites: fleas, ticks, worms, fungus etc. Also outdoor cats are prone to getting hit by cars, poisoned by a human, rat poison, antifreeze, snail bait, can pick up virus and disease such as upper respiratory infection, feline leukemia, distemper, rabies, could get attacked by a wild animal or dog, can get in cats fights resulting in abscess and infection. Also I hope if you are letting this cat outdoors it is neutered. You might reconsider keeping the cat outside..and if you are not allowed to have it inside..you might want to give it to someone that can have it indoors.

Source(s): me: cat owner for 35 years, ex veterinary technician, zoologist.

There are just a few things animals can pass on. Most cat stuff is limited to cats or dogs. You can get certain worms, rabies, and lyme.

he can pass hair only