Whats wrong with keeping wild Newborn Bunny's?

A friend of mine saved wild baby bunnys from being Killed when a man flushed them out of their nest it was about four babys in the nest. I took one home to take care of but my mom said since their wild to let the little bunny go I was upset but then I realize its better to let them be with their own kind instead be locked up in a cage.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What your friend should have done is put the babies back in the nest. It is illegal to keep wild animals unless you have the proper permits. Also, it is very cruel.

The best info comes from this website: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

It states:

Many people mean well when they contact HRS after discovering an "abandoned" nest of wild rabbits. Often they wish to "rehabilitate" them with some advice from others. The reality is fewer than 10% of orphaned rabbits survive a week, and the care that people attempt to provide can be illegal, unnecessary, and potentially harmful. The best thing you can do is put the bunny right back where you found him, in the general area, as the Mom will only come back at night to call and find him. Leave the area. If injured, please contact a Wildlife Rehabilitator or rabbit vet immediately.

Rabbits hide their nests in plain view, often putting them in the open; for example, in the middle of the lawn, as well as in brush piles and long grass. If you find a nest that has been disturbed, do all you can to restore and protect it rather than bring the infants inside. If a dog has discovered the nest, keep your dog away from the area and reconstruct the nest with grasses. If need be, you can move the nest a few feet away where safer.

Rabbit mothers nurse their babies for approximately 5 minutes a day. They will be in the nest early in the morning and then again in the evening. The milk is very rich and the babies "fill up" to capacity within minutes. Mother rabbits do not "sit" on the babies to keep them warm as do some mammals and birds. They build a nest with fur and grasses which helps to keep the babies warm in between feedings. Do not force a mother rabbit to sit in the nest box. You can pick up the babies and see if they are feeding by checking the size of their stomachs (should not be sunken in), the pinkness of their skin and activity level (they should not be blue in color or sluggish in movement) and the amount of time that you hear them crying (baby bunnies should be quiet most of the day....if they are crying constantly then they are not getting fed). If you come across a nest of bunnies in the wild and the mother is no where to be seen, please DO NOT disturb them...this is normal. By removing them from the nest you are greatly reducing their chances of survival.

If your dog disturbs a nest or you find a wild bunny with its eyes open, please put him back if not injured. Mom will be coming back at night to call and feed him only once in the middle of the night. Do not take the bunny inside or feed him. That is the mom's job. IT IS A MATTER OF HIS/HER SURVIVAL AND UP TO US AS HUMANS TO LEAVE NATURE BE AND LET THE MOM CARE FOR HER YOUNG. We often hear of mothers moving their babies and their nests, and have seen moms come back every night for up to a week to look for her missing baby. Do not take the baby from the mom or she will be frantic.

If your friend still has the remaining bunnies, she needs to contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator. She can find one here: http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

Source(s): former volunteer - Avian Rehabilitation Center
  • Suzi
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

What's wrong with it? It's illegal, it's cruel, and generally turns out very bad for the animal.

Spend a few months in prison, and let us all know how much fun you have in confinement. Taking animals out of the wild, does not protect them - it takes away their freedom, and effectively destroys any chance of a normal life.

Wild animals are not "happy" when caged. Imagine if some big monster abducted you and threw you in a cage. Would you be happy? Separated from your home, your family, and others of your species?

Wild animals, migratory birds and fish are protected by law. You cannot possess them without a license or permit. Permits are only given to qualified individuals, and generally only for rehab and then release back into the wild.

While your friend did the right thing by saving the bunnies, she should have brought them all to a rehabber. That's the best choice.

• 1 decade ago

wild new born babys bunnies is a very hard thing for them to be caged up they are navtie to running and jumping out in the wild and they will bite when they get older found that out the hard way

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wild newborn bunnys could have all sorts of diseaces including myxomatosis which is deadly to pet and wild rabbits.

Source(s): Former rabbit owner.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

new child rabbits usually drink 2.5 ml of milk (you should shop on going with the kitten milk replacer) each and every time they feed. oftentimes, mom rabbits feed their infants in trouble-free terms once or twice an afternoon. each and every time you feed him, moist a paper towel or mushy fabric with heat water, and wipe his bum after (you probable did this). mom rabbits lick their infant's bottoms as quickly as they're achieved feeding. the 1st ingredient you should attempt to do is shop him heat. you could set up a sprint card board field with some previous cloths and/or some stuffing for blankets or pillows in case you have some. warmth some water in a water bottle and wrap the bottle in a fabric. placed the bottle interior the nest with him to maintain him heat and heat up the bottle whilst it gets chilly. If that's only too lots of a hastle, you could placed a heating pad under one million/2 of the field (make it so he can pass slowly away if this is too warm).yet another trick is to heat up some cloths and wrap him in them, additionally, a sprint one bunny desires to have an entire, around abdomen. i've got had the subject with new born kits no longer peeing earlier. they frequently supply out and pee whilst they're delicate and heat (they generally pee whilst i'm conserving them). i'm not sure why this weird and wonderful trick works very almost perpetually, yet once you carry the newborn in 2 palms untill it calms down, it is going to frequently pass. yet attempt stimulating him first. i haven't had lots sucess with bottle-feeding infant rabbits. It brakes my heart whilst they stay for a pair of days, and then they die interior the nighttime, yet this does ensue lots. this is a few bottle feeding tips that could help, nevertheless: If the newborn does not latch directly to the syrenge, or in spite of you're feeding him with, you could placed a sprint drop on the area of his mouth. mom rabbits do no longer feed their kits like cats or canines, they stand over the infants and enable them to turn over on their backs and kneed out the milk. Lay the newborn upsidedown on your hand and placed a towel or some thing mushy over his ft so he can kneed it. The infants to this instinctually to push out their mom's milk. If the newborn chokes, a solid thank you to do CPR is to advance the newborn above (verify he's rightside up) your head and convey him down speedy. If he does not spit up after some seconds, do it back. i certainly wish this facilitates. only right of success to you:D i certainly do wish your little kicker survives.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.