I am thinking about going camping what exactly do i need?

I am going with a family of 5 But would be nice with a 6 person tent

what kind of foo we have sleeping bags

o no campers

campers as in the stuff u put on the back of the truck

Favorite Answer

http://camping.about.com/od/campingforbeginners/Ca...

Camping Checklist (compliments of camping.about.com)

Shelter and Bedding (essentials)

__ tent

__ tarp

__ sleeping bag

__ sleeping pad

__ headrest

Cooking and Dining (essentials)

__ water

__ food

__ cooler

__ camp stove

__ mess kit

__ can opener

__ charcoal

Clothes

__ t-shirts

__ shorts

__ jeans/pants

__ socks

__ shoes/boots

__ camp shoes

__ hat/cap

__ sweater

__ rain poncho

__ underwear

__ swim suit

__ laundry bag

__ _____________

__ _____________

__ _____________

__ _____________

Personal Hygiene

__ tooth brush

__ tooth paste

__ wash rag(s)

__ towel(s)

__ soap

__ comb/brush

__ nail clippers

__ razor

__ toilet paper

__ _____________

__ _____________ Shelter and Bedding (optionals)

__ book

__ cot

__ comforter

__ throw rug

__ pillow

Cooking and Dining (optionals)

__ charcoal chimney

__ smoker

__ Dutch oven

__ hot dog sticks

__ pie irons

__ chairs

__ folding table

__ table cloth

__ butane lighter

__ screen room

Cleaning Items

__ broom

__ dust pan

__ whisk broom

__ lawn rake

__ dish pan

__ detergent

__ dish rags

__ ppt scrubber

First Aid Kit

__ personal medication

__ bandages

__ aspirin, Tylenol

__ medical tape

__ sterile gauze

__ elastic wrap

__ antiseptic wipes

__ antibiotic cream

__ burn ointment

__ sunburn lotion

__ hydrogen peroxide

__ scissors

__ tweezers

__ eye wash

__ sanitary napkins

__ snake bite kit Chuck Box

__ salt and pepper

__ herbs and spices

__ cooking oil

__ pot holders

__ paper towels

__ napkins

__ plastic trash bags

__ tongs and spatula

__ aluminum foil

__ measuring cups

__ plastic silverware

__ paper plates/bowls

__ plastic cups

__ zip lock bags

__ knives

__ cutting board

__ cork screw

Miscellaneous Items

__ binoculars

__ bird guide

__ bug spray

__ bungi cords

__ camera

__ candles

__ cards, games

__ cell phone

__ clothes pins

__ compass

__ duct tape

__ fishing gear

__ flashlight

__ frisbee

__ GPS

__ kites

__ knife

__ lantern

__ matches

__ pen and paper

__ rope

__ shower bag

__ sun block

__ tools

__ water filters

__ whistle

__ _____________

__ _____________

You may want to check your sleeping bags and make sure you use them in the correct season. Don't want to be too hot or too cold at night

As for food ( i am guessing foo = food) Cans work if you have a stove and don't plan to be more than one day away from camp. Remember to leave no trace though. Pouches are good for day hikes. Gorp is also good.

Yea a 6 person tent will be nice since it will give you extra room to put gear and for movement. However, the bigger the tent the harder it is to keep warm when it gets cold.

I have attacked a link below of what I take out in the woods. You don't need to take all of what is on that list since you are not doing search and rescue missions but there are alot of usefull things there.

Here is a great list for packing. As for the tent a 6 person tent may not be large enough. I would recommend 2 tents. go for the best tents you can afford. I have tents from REI. I think that no tent is better for car camping than the Base Camp 6.

For sleeping bags they are rated for temperature think about when you plan to go camping and find a bag that is rated for the lowest temperature that you will encounter. Hope this helps and if you have more specific questions about tents or other questions you will get a ton of responses here. ENJOY!

Two tents are definatly better than one unless you have SMALL children. Extra space in the tent is never a waste. You can just use blankets for sleeping in moderate weather if you have some that are not too nice, and you want to save some money on your maiden voyage.

Plan out your meals long before time, and freeze everything you can except your first meal ahead of time, including drinking water.

Some of the things you might forget that are important for camping:

Food!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clothes, and extra dry shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sun Block!

Bug Spray!

Toilet Paper!

Salt Pepper and seasonings

Paper Plates, Plastic cups and Utensils

Soap for you and dishes, Tooth brush ect…

Dish cloths

Bath/Beach towels

Knife or three

Spatula Fork and Tongs, (all fire safe)

Tin Foil

Food storage bags

Trash bags

Something to start a fire with

Camera and batteries, (I have a 12 volt charger for my AA and AAA batteries that we use in the flashlights also)

For tent camping, not everything might seem important, but then you might find some of those very things handy for stuff you never thought of. I try not to take more than I need to, but I also hate to not have SOMETHING to work with. If you do not have the skillet or the lanterns, you can make do with foil and a big fire, but a lot of the stuff is make or break for a good camping trip.

*Pack everything in cardboard boxes or Laundry baskets. After the first few trips if you are having fun, you might want to get a storage tote or two. Start leaving the stuff that you can in the totes. If you wear out the tote, you are a seasoned camper; it is time to get a heavy duty trunk.

* Plastic Ice Cream Bucket or big plastic bowel for cooking and dish washing. A giant plastic mug or two can be handy also.

*A solid cast iron skillet is great. Be sure to take oil. Be careful not to over heat it or you will loose your seasoning. Something to get it off the hot fire with, like channel locks is nice as well. Simple things you can cook in it are fried potatoes, sautéed veggies, and pancakes. My kids like my oily “crunchy” campfire pancakes best. If you drink Coffee, you will need a camp percolator and all the fixings.

*Extra blankets! They can really make for a better nights sleep used as padding, and I have had a sleeping bag taken in the river by a kid before.

*Lighting; I recommend a couple flashlights for trips to the potty or exploration, and two "train lanterns" that will burn all night on one tank of oil. Don’t forget the lamp oil, (a little will start the fire good also) and batteries!

*Plenty of ice, and plenty of frozen drinking water. Put all the blankets on top of your coolers during the day. Pack meat in a separate cooler from drinks and snacks if you can, or in a plastic container buried under everything else. Freeze everything you can before you pack, except your first meal. Plan an uncooked meal at lunch time, and start fires half an hour or more before you plan to cook.

*A large laundry soap jug is best for keeping hand wash water on the outskirts of camp; one with a spigot works the absolute best. Just refill with river water if you are camping primitive.

*Lawn chairs and fun noodles are a good idea. You do not need a chair for everyone, but at least one per adult and one more is a good idea. Fun noodles are cheap, and they do not leak like blow up water toys.

*Some rope, clothes pins, a hammer and a couple nails never hurt. I take 50 feet of cheap rope, and some twine for little stuff. Don’t forget the duct tape! Axe, machete, and/or bow saw for cutting wood, and who knows what else.

*A fresh roll of paper towels, a roll of medical tape, a bottle of peroxide, and some antibiotic ointment make a good first aid kit for almost any non 911 emergency. Some of that stuff comes in handy for other stuff as well. Throw in a pair of nail clippers, and maybe some scissors and thread and needle, for things that can be annoying not to have.

*Last but not least, time out at the river is ten thousand times worse than any other punishment! I spent a lot of my first summer with my step kids at the river for just that reason!

Have fun. You will find plenty of things you wish you had, but that can be part of the fun! After you camp a dozen times, you will have a longer list, but there is enough stuff to buy the first time, without going into all of that.

Gravel

Source(s): I have the wooden trunk.