Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Have you ever been involved in The Neighborhood Watch Program? Did people treat you worse for being involved?

I ask this because I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has had a negative outcome from trying to help keep your neighborhood safe. It appears that once people know their neighbors could be watching them & making reports to the Police, that they do a U-turn & suddenly don't want any involvement in the program or with the person who brought the program into their neighborhood. Does anyone have any stories to share about having people suddenly TURN on them for wanting to assist the Police in reporting criminal activity?

Favorite Answer

People shouldn't be afraid to try and clean up there neighborhood, just because you have a neighborhood watch program activated does not mean "spying" on your neighbors. It's about protecting one another and each others property. It's about being decent to each other and being respectful and wanting to have a good neighborhood. Keeping your doors closed and not doing anything is the exact thing that kills people, look up the San Fran. case of where a woman was stabbed 23 times infront of HER neighbors and not one of them called for help until her attacker left and she was dead.

Stand up for what is right, if your neighbors treat you badly, shame on them, they will be thanking you if you ever protect their property from a vandal.

Source(s): Morals

I was a council assistant in Cleveland, OH, and my experience with these watch groups is they would start out well & then someone's ego would shoot to the end of the galaxy - thinking that he or she was the police chief or council member due to heading the watch - which would send a rift through the group. People acting in common sense ways - just being good neighbors - is the best way to fight crime in neighborhoods.

I didn't have it happen to me because I knew it would happen if I announced to the neighborhood that I was watching them. So, I'm an undercover neighborhood watch person.

People don't like being informed that they're being watched. That is a flaw in the Neighborhood Watch program.

They avoid you because they see you as a nosey snitch. Try keeping a lower profile. sheesh. You don't want a shotgun up your behind one day, do you?

Source(s): retired private investigator.

Rule number one, "I saw nothing" keep your doors closed and your mouth shut, and don't get involved with the police good or bad, its just not worth it.

I watch my neighbors run around "naked"