wrencabin asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Any tips to keep our dog from bothering us at the table?

(Shes tall enough to rest her nose on the table)

Favorite Answer

Begging -- 9 Tips to Table the Pleas

Your heart swells as your loyal, loving pet gazes up at you with those soft brown eyes. Then you notice the whining, the drooling and the unrelenting stare at your fork. This isn't about love. It's about your food -- she wants it, and she wants it now.

It's hard to ignore a good mooch, but if you give in, experts say, you'll never have a peaceful meal again. So be strong, hang onto your plate and follow these helpful hints.

For Dogs and Cats

Feed her first.

"If your dog or cat is really full, she just won't be as inspired to ask for more," says Kathryn Segura, who trains animals for television and movies and is owner of PHD Animals in Studio City, California.

Don't give in to guilt.

No matter how much she manipulates your emotions with those Oliver Twist eyes -- "Please, master, may I have some of yours?" -- remind yourself that your pet is already well-fed and doesn't need human food, says M. Lynne Kesel, D.V.M., assistant professor of elective surgery in the Department of Clinical Sciences at the Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences in Fort Collins.

Make her leave for leftovers.

If you do decide to slip her a snack, don't do it from the table, Dr. Kesel adds. Otherwise your pet will begin confusing your mealtimes with hers. "If I'm eating something healthy and I can't finish it, at the end I'll put a little in their bowls," she says.

Lay down the law.

Usually just raising your voice will send your pet scurrying to another room. If that doesn't work, try honking a bike horn or rattling a shake can. "After a few times, they should get the message," says Gary Landsberg, D.V.M., a veterinarian in private practice in Thornhill, Ontario, who specializes in animal behavior.

To make a shake can, put some coins inside an empty soda can. Tape up the hole and you've got a noisemaker extraordinaire.

Say it with spray.

Cats can be incorrigible beggars, even jumping on tables and stealing food when you don't hand over a handout. And dogs aren't above trying some pretty pushy maneuvers themselves. To discourage such brazen behavior, surprise your pet with a blast from a spray bottle. The plastic bottle you use to spray plants will do nicely. Just aim for whatever part of your pet is handy, says Bob Gutierrez, animal behavior coordinator at the San Francisco Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Isolate the problem.

"When your dog or cat is driving you crazy, tell her ' No!' and calmly put her in another room and shut the door," says Dr. Landsberg. You may get complaints in the form of barking or meowing, but don't let her out until you're done eating. "Eventually she'll figure out that if she doesn't beg, she doesn't get sent away," says Dr. Landsberg.

Try a sticky solution.

Does your pet's begging repertoire include jumping up on kitchen counters? If so, try putting strips of double-sided tape in strategic spots. Then stand back and watch, says Gutierrez. "They hate the sensation of their paws getting a little stuck," he says. "They're unlikely to return, but just in case, buy an extra-big roll."

Give in -- just a little.

Some people love feeding their pet at the table and don't want to give it up entirely. As a compromise, try slipping her something healthy, like lettuce, suggests Myrna Milani, D.V.M., a veterinarian in private practice in Charlestown, New Hampshire, and author of The Body Language and Emotions of Cats and The Body Language and Emotions of Dogs. "If she doesn't like it, you've done your part -- and if she does, you're not loading her down with fattening food," she says.

For Dogs Only

Send her to school.

If your pooch's pleas are starting to peeve, why not try obedience school? Once you've both mastered the essential commands like "Stay!" and "Down!" you'll have peace in the family once again. "This way it's not a constant battle at the dinner table," says Dr. Landsberg.

I have found the best way to keep my Rottie away from counter surfing and getting near the table is to teach her to do something else. If she is busy being good, she can't be bothering you at the table. If your dog has basic obedience work on her down stay. Try bringing in a blanket or a bed into the dining room when you eat, tell her to down on the bed, and stay. She will get used to having to do her job of 'staying' while you all eat in peace! It may seem like it would take a little longer to do this than simply yell at her, but in the long run I think you and she will be very happy. Good luck!

This isn't hard. Teach your dog the down/stay. Before you sit down to eat make sure your dog has eaten first. Then before you start eating put the dog in a down/stay. Don't allow the dog to get up and investigate and give her no attention unless she moves out of position. Expect a few interruptions to get up and return the dog to the spot, or if you are fast enough often a NO said in a low, growling tone will stop them from getting up. Repeat the stay command. In the meantime don't even think about giving her table scraps or treats from the table. It's fair..you didn't try to eat the dog's food, she shouldn't expect to eat yours. If you can be consistent in doing this pretty soon mealtimes will be pleasant again with your dog lying quietly in her spot. GL :)

There are a bunch of things you should know about dog training but we are going to discuss what I feel are some the most important. Keep in mind that these are only some of the things you should know. Go here http://OnlineDogTraining.enle.info/?7Xvo

1. Repetition is the number 1 principle of dog training. Dogs just like humans learn by doing things over and over in order to get better.

2. Dog Training can and should be fun for both you and your new pet.

3. Training sessions should always be short but sweet. I never work a dog more than 15 minutes in a session to keep from losing the dog's attention. You should train you dog at least once a day but never more than three formal sessions a day.

4. Your goal should be that each training session is just a little bit better than the last one. You need to always strive to make the training better, slowly. I mention this because quite often I see people who do daily training sessions but the dog never gets better and it is not the dogs fault.

5. Having patients is very important in dog training. Losing your temper does not work with a canine it simply makes things worse.

6. Exercise is very important in the training process to get rid of all the dogs nervous energy.

7. Taking your pet for walks is very important because it develops serotonin which gives your dog a feeling of well being.

8. Always be sure to give your dog a bunch of praise in your training. It is your dog's paycheck for doing a great job.

9. Never hit your dog. I have heard people say I never hit my dog instead I roll up a magazine and swat it. It's the same thing... hitting is hitting.

10. After each training session be sure to do something that your dog will enjoy. Take it for a walk, throw the ball or maybe even rub its belly. Just do something that makes the dog look forward to the next training session.

These are things that I teach my dog training students as well as my dog training clients. I hope these things will give you something to think about when training your dog. Spend some time training your dog daily and you will both reap the benefits.

keep her outside when your at the table and when your not at the table let her inside.

when ever she does juve her a strong "No" and if that doesnt work send her outside.