Seeking reassurance...?

I work part time at McDonalds n I called in sick to work 2 weeks ago. My bf came over to keep me company. He said he wanted to go to the mall to get something and it would only take about 15 minutes. So we went, then came home.

I am not feeling well 2nite, as I have been stressed all week with exams, and not sleeping well. I am rostered to work at 6am so I called in sick. My manger answered n she goes "Oh, like how u were sick the other day and I saw u at the mall? Whatever, i'll get rid of ur shift" n hung up on me.

I don't get paid for sick days, it's only a part time job at McDonalds, and i was only at the mall for 15 minutes. I don't have any shifts next week and I think she might have god rid of my shifts for apparently 'faking' being sick when i wasn't faking.

I feel so bad, I don't want to get fired. I dont like my job but it's the only income I have.

Does she have a right to be mad? Can she fire me for this?

Favorite Answer

She's the boss, and you have to admit it looks bad. Quit and work at the mall. It pays more and they dont treat you half as crappy as fast food. (half of fast food is still pretty crappy though). Thats how bosses do it w/o opening themselves up for lawsuit. If she fires you, you have a wrongful termination case. If she makes your life a living hell and you quit, she's in the clear. That is how most bosses phase out people. You can either deal and get a new job, or fight it and probably lose.

You bet she can. Be honest with yourself, if you were well enough to go to the mall - even for 15 minutes - although you didn't feel like it, weren't you well enough to go to work?

While you may not be compensated for sick days, you still create a problem for her by not being there. Now she has to scramble to find someone to cover your hours. Presumably, your were on the schedule because she had determined that she needed X number of people that day.

I'm assuming that you're relatively young. It's McDonald's. There are a million jobs that pay as well or better that you can get part-time.

Chalk this up to a learning experience about how the working life is going to be after school's done. The lesson is - yes, you still have to go to work the next day. You can't call in sick because you're tired or stressed out. Not trying to be a jerk, but someone needs to tell you this kind of stuff straight and honestly without trying to sugar coat it.

Not trying to be harsh, just telling it like it is.

Do not wait to be fired, you don't want that. Quit now and start looking for another job.

Source(s): Years and years of working experience...

I dont think you can get fired for that but you should have ben careful not to be seen near maccas...

If you're still sick maybe go to the doctors and get a doctors certificate saying your sick and show your manager?