promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

In the movie "Becoming Jane", why did Jane leave Tom Lefroy when they were running away?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

She read his letter that was from his mother. Lefroy depends on his uncle for money to support his family. Jane knew that if they ran away together he wouldn't be able to make enough money to support them and his family so she made a decision for him and left him.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • lesch
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Jane replaced into damaging and had no actual status and does not have been a reliable paring, considering the fact that marriage on the time replaced into consistent with how society checked out them. Tom Lefroy replaced into so appropriate in spite of the shown fact that.

• 1 decade ago

She read a letter written to Tom by his mother or one of his sibilings. Basically, the letter was thanking Tom for sharing his monthly allowance from his uncle with the family (Tom's father (I think it was) was disinherited, so they were really poor and had no money. Tom was on his uncle's good side, and his uncle gave him a monthly allowance.) Jane realized that if Tom married her, his uncle would disinherit Tom, and Tom's entirely family would lose their source of income, sending them to a state of poverty. So Jane decided to sacrifice her love and future with Tom in order to save his family.

It was very sad. I cried... a lot.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because, despite what everybody thought, he was using his money not to revel, but to support his brothers and sisters, and their families; and Jane realized that by marrying him, she would be depriving them of financial support. I loved that movie. <3

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.