Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

what's in Tapioca pudding?

I mean, what are those little balls in the pudding? Vanilla flavored geletan? I dont know! But they taste so GOOD!!! Any good recipes for homeade tapioca pudding? Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Tapioca is a small or larger ball shaped flour based food product made from the cassava plant, it is cooked and then ground and rolled into balls, some the size of a match head to the larger ones used for bubble tea.

The pudding is made in a similar way to rice pudding were the tapioca is cooked with milk, sugar and vanilla flavour, it can be thicken with a egg and starch solution or just an egg.

When cold it is firm like a cornstarch/cooked boxed pudding and the tapioca balls will appear clear in colour.

When I was a chef I made it in Canada and in some the other hotels I worked in, in the far east it is made with coconut milk and some other flavours like pandan or durian, it is a bit less firm more a thinner consistancy and is available from street vendors in the hawker stalls of Singapore and Thailand.

It's a little bite of heaven. You mix milk, sugar, and egg in a saucepan, along w/ some tapioca pearls. These are round balls of starch from the root of a plant. Usually they have to be soaked in water, but there is instant tapioca available. Anyway, you bring the mix to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. it will thicken. remove from heat, add vanilla, and let cool. I love it best eaten warm. There is a nice vanilla pudding and the cooked tapioca pearls are sort of suspended throughout. Man, I'm gonna go make me some now!

Ingredients for Cream Tapioca Pudding

¼ cup minute tapioca

2-½ cups hot milk

½ cup cold milk

2 eggs

1/3 cup sugar

Vanilla flavor

A sprinkle of salt

Soak the tapioca in the cold milk for 10 minutes, add the hot milk, and cook in a double boiler until transparent.

Beat the egg yolks, the sugar, and a sprinkle of salt together.

Add the hot mixture gradually, stirring with a spoon as it is being added.

Let continue to cook until it begins to thicken; then remove from the fire.

Beat the whites stiff, flavor with a teaspoon vanilla, and fold in the hot mixture, chill and serve

Depends on the recipe, but basically tapioca and milk.

Tapioca Pudding

One of my favorite desserts growing up was tapioca pudding. You don't see it that much anymore. Kids get pre-made over-sugared puddings from the grocery store. My parents don't make it that often as it requires too much (for them) careful stirring while the tapioca cooks. And you won't find tapioca on any low-carb diets as it is pure starch, from the same plant as cassava. Yet tapioca pudding is one of those comfort foods that conjures up happy childhood memories. It is actually really easy to make.

1/2 cup small pearl tapioca (it comes in a box, we use Island Tapioca brand)

3 cups whole milk (or skim milk with cream added)

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup of sugar

1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Combine tapioca, milk, and salt in 1 1/2 quart pan on medium high heat. Stir until boiling. Simmer 5 minutes, uncovered at the lowest possible heat, adding sugar gradually. Beat eggs in a separate bowl. Mix in some of the hot tapioca very slowly to equalize the temperature of the two mixtures (to avoid curdling). Return eggs to pan with tapioca. Bring to a boil. Stir 3 minutes more over lowest possible heat. Stir constantly. You may cook a little longer than 3 minutes if needed to get to a nice thick pudding consistency. Cool 15 minutes. Add vanilla. Serve either warm or chilled.

If you want to make a more light and fluffy, but still rich, tapioca pudding, separate the eggs. Use the egg yolks to stir in first to the pan with the tapioca. Once the pudding has become nice and thick, beat the egg whites in a separate bowl to soft peaks. Remove the pan of tapioca pudding from the stove, fold in the beaten egg whites into the pudding.

Also, it pays to check the instructions on the box or bag of tapioca pearls that you have. The Island Tapioca I used in this recipe doesn't require that you soak the tapioca pearls before cooking. Another brand that I have used requires that you soak the pearls overnight.

My mother made it often, when I was growing up. It was always a welcomed delicious treat. Yum!

Creamy Orange Tapioca Pudding Recipe

By chefmeow

This is very creamy, very smooth and very tasty. Makes a nice light dessert after a heavy meal.

Ingredients

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca

1-1/4 cup orange juice

1-1/4 cup frozen whipped topping thawed

4 maraschino cherries

Directions

Mix sugar, tapioca and orange juice in saucepan then let stand 5 minutes.

Heat to boiling over medium high heat stirring constantly then remove from heat and cool.

Stir tapioca mixture with rubber scraper then fold in 1 cup of the whipped topping.

Divide tapioca mixture into 4 dessert dishes.

Top each serving with a spoonful of remaining whipped topping and 1 maraschino cherry

Tapioca is made from the root of the manioc plant.

The stuff has cyanic acid in it, and it's poisonous if not processed properly; in Nigeria, there's a variety of manioc called "chop and die"....

But when we make custard with those little pearls....

All Mom ever made was with the small pearls of tapioca. I didn't know there were large pearls until I was an adult. Someone should have taken me out behind the garage and told me the facts of tapioca....

• Bert C

Tapioca root.

This link will give more info than you wanted to know about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapioca

And here is a link to a few recipes...

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?q1=tapio...

Bert

Source(s): wikipedia.org allrecipes.com

A white lighter is a messenger of sorts. They are protectors and guides for good witches and future white lighters. White lighters are lead by a group of elders known as the Founders. The Founders make the decisions about who the white lighters protect and what the "job" entails.

.

those are maggots...

i don't know, but it is yummy! :)