I am having a surprise borthday party for my boyfriend's 50th birthday in a few months, I am not sure if I

should order a sheet cake, or a tier cake? What type of cake should I order for a 50th birthday? I really want to make his birthday special. We are having his party at a nice Italian restaurant.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Favorite Answer

Sheet cake with chocolate and raspberry.OMG,they taste soo good!! I think tier cake looks more stylish,but if you're getting a tier cake,make sure it doesn't look too wedding-ish. If getting a sheet cake,make sure it's a big one and help design it the way you like it.

I just suggested chocolate and raspberry,because they are very good togther. But think about what taste he likes. I'm sure anything you get,he'll appreciate it. It's the thought that matters,just as long as you make it special:)

Good Luck!!

Id go with the sheet cake, because its cake, and its cheaper. The tier cakes are nice but they look very formal - like a wedding cake, they are usually decorated with flowers and such. If its a sheet cake its easier to do the over the hill decorations.

You look very young to be dating a 50 year old.

I think a tier cake is a little over the top. Since you like Italian food have you ever had Cassada Cake. It's really yummy and kinda gourmet. There are plenty of options out there, check out your local bakery. If you don't want a plain birthday cake go gourmet. Good luck!!

• dawnb

Why don't you have the restaurant do something for dessert instead. It's a lot easier than having to bring something in. Check with them to see what they might be able to do for you. Otherwise a sheet or a round cake is easier to transport than a tier plus a tier seems so formal. I'd go with the restaurant.

• ?

I would go with a sheet cake. It's easier to transport to the restaurant and serve and can be made to look just as nice as a tier cake.

A sheet cake would be much easier to transport. But tier cakes have a much more pleasing appearance. If your going to have that many people, I think I would choose a sheet cake. Have fun!!

• Pat C

Men aren't into tiered cakes. You should find a picture of him when he was very young. Take this to one of the bakeries that print photos on edible rice paper that they apply to the sheet cake top. The photos are printed with edible inks, and the paper dissolves into the icing, leaving only the printed image. There is no change in the taste of the cake. He'll initially be embarrassed...but he will end up LOVING it!

a sheet cake with just the 50 candle would be great. i would add to have a photo put on the cake of him doing one of his favorite hobbies, or perhaps his favorite sports team. i would agree with the jumping out of the cake, but you are having his party at a italian restaurant, i am italian and i know the women would not sit well with that.

Well I am over 50 by a while and if it was me I would go for the sheet cake. It is smaller, easier to cut, easier to bite and not as much icing all over the place. And since it is going to be in a nice Italian restaurant you can always have spumoni for desert.

Did a sheet cake for my b/f's 50th (9 years ago!) in his favorite flavor and with his favorite colors for the icing....but honestly, he prefers cheesecake, and my DIL made one for my birthday this year that was amazing...she used a Baked Alaska pan and baked a nice, moist chocolate cake and then used the half-moon part for a cheesecake in the center of the cake....drizzled the top with hot fudge and garnished with strawberries...GREAT!