What do you do to calm down after an Earthquake?

Favorite Answer

Determining when an earthquake and all of its aftershocks are completely finished is the hard part. But then I walk around the home smelling for gas leaking anywhere, checking to see if/what has fallen off shelves/walls, etc., noting what cracks will now need repair--that is, if it's a fairly minor quake (like, if I'm home and my building is not noticably damaged). If I'm at work (as I was in 1989), I just sit there in the dark waiting for the emergency announcements over the PA system--last time they wouldn't let us out of the building until a structural inspector gave the ok that the stairs could be used), listening to the transistor radio for reports from the outside. At home, after tidying up anything that broke/fell, I usually grab the animals and go take a nap because they are usually stressed too and napping together always seems to let them know things are ok (it's comforting to them, comforting to us). Check the water supplies, food, emergency supplies, etc. All that checking takes my mind off being so scared, and reassures me (when everything turns out ok) that our home can still be lived in safely.

• Starr

I have never experienced an earthquake. But after a hurricane I just get busy getting all the limbs and trash out of the yard. Before you know it things start getting back to normal.

I've not experienced one (Thank the Lord) but I think I'd breathe deeply and check to make sure all my loved ones were okay. That in itself would be calming. And then I'd count my blessings so many times... and see if anyone else needed help. There is a certain calm found in 'doing', I think.

(I hope this was a general question and you've not had to experience such!)

I just stand there and wait until it's over. Earthquake's don't scare me much unless it's a big one.

Chocolate.

Take a deep breath several times and start walking around.

Source(s): bonikingv

I live in florida Im more likely to get hit by a hurricane

Source(s): 2004-2005

Same as anything else. I curl up in a corner somewhere and lick my tail. Sometimes, I lick my paws, too, if it's really bad.

Never had one, so don't know. Sorry. Would probably have a large drink

dunno