Andre L asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

HOT GHETTO MESS (RESPONSE BLOG) I want to know your thoughts.?

It saddens me that we as Africans in America can no longer distingiush the difference between ointment and salt. Camaflauged in the ointment of help, this website does nothing but re-inforce negative stereotypes which rubs salt in the deep wounds of African people in America. This unholy marriage of Reality and MINSTRIAL T.V. does nothing but dehumanize and demonize the very people who need the most help.

In Robert M Entman and Andrew Rojecki's work"The Black Image in the White Mind" - They, discuss the effects of life in a segregated society. Their book offers a comprehensive look at the intricate and subtle racial patterns in the mass media and discusses how these powerful images play a significant role in shaping the attitudes of Whites toward Blacks.

White Americans, they show, learn about African Americans not through personal relationships, but through the images shown by the media and internet sites like HOT GHETTO MESS. In addition, the authors reveal a subtle pattern of images that communicates a racial hierarchy in which white's are seen as morally "superior" and Blacks are viewed as morally deprived and almost sub-human.

This site PROVES that After 150 years of African slavery, 100 years Jim Crow and minstrial entertainment, and 40 years of media demonization, Africans in America have internalized these images and made them their own. African Americans no longer simply respond to the name Toby, but they have embraced the identity. (For those of you who do not understand the analogy, I am referring to the movie Roots. Kunta Kente's white master made him change his name.)

Carter G. Woodson and Na'im Akbar are RIGHT, MANY AFRICAN'S IN AMERICA ARE PSYCHOLOGICAL SLAVES. Psychological slavery is much more crippling than physical slavery because the victim is unconsciously his own oppresser. Anyone who finds this "masochistic mess" entertaining are themselves unconscious slaves. What emotionally healthy and sane person laughs at their own victimhood?

Secondly, this pragmatic strategy, of MAKING BLACKS DO BETTER is ineffective because we are ATTACK the SYMPTOMS AND NOT THE PROBLEMS. If we really want to HELP Africans in America "DO BETTER" than we need to do more than simply attack their clothes, sem-nude Play boy or Ghetto queen pics. We need to discuss economic development, job training, mentoring programs and etc. Trying use BLACK EXPLOITATION as a MEANS TO IMPROVE THE BLACK SOCIAL CONDITION IS A FOOLISH PIPE DREAM.

IF YOU WANT TO GIVE BLACK PEOPLE THE KEY TO THE AMERICAN DREAM TO HELP THEM TO DO BETTER BY FOCUSING MORE ON EDUCATION INSTEAD OF EXPLOITATION.

Lastly, the sadist part of this SITE IS THAT IT IS REALLY NOT POKING FUN AT SPECIFIC PEOPLE AS MUCH AS IT IS POKING FUN AT THEIR SPECIFIC PLIGHT!!! When we spend time making FUN OF PEOPLES PAIN, POVERTY AND IDENTITY IN THE NAME OF HELP and Righteous Indignation, WE "THE ENLIGHTENED" ARE THE REAL HOT GHETTO MESS!

That is the equavelent of telling a man who is runnig from a lion that he should hide in the lake full of hungery allegators or it is like a Doctor telling a cripple man that in order to fix one leg the Doctor has to break the other. This venue, HOT GHETTO MESS, IS NOT OFFERING HELP OR CORRECTION, IT IS JUST A NEW PREDATOR THAT FEEDS INTO RACIAL STEREOTYPES.

AFRICANS IN AMERICA ARE SICK OF CHOOSING WHICH WAY THEY WILL BE CRIPPLE, WE MUST DEVELOP STRATEGIES TO MAKE THEM WHOLE.

(I AM INTERESTED IN YOUR HONEST THOUGHTS!)

Favorite Answer

First let me say---wow.

Second, I am not African American so I cannot know exactly what or how you feel. But I am a woman and I have been through the whole women are not as good as men thing and I know it ticked me off for a long time.

Now for what you don't want to hear. I have known and been friends with and now supervise a lot of African Americans. I have known a lot of good people and a lot of bad people. Being a woman in the military back in the 80's was extremely hard because of the pressure that the black men put on me to 'date' them. I also got a lot of "I'm black, you should feel sorry for me". For a long time, I had a huge distrust of any man of color. Thankfully it is not like that now.

I also have a problem with the 'United ***** College Fund'. Sorry but what about the United White Girl College Fund? I could not go to college because my family was poor but nobody ever helped me. I joined the Army to get my money and I couldn't see any reason why anyone else couldn't, too.

Don't even think of me as a racist, because I'm not. My father and his father before him were racist but it didn't take with me because I made up my own mind.

As for the sites that you are talking about, I wouldn't even look up a site that said anything like that. I can only hope that all African Americans don't think that all of us 'white' people think like this or think things like this are funny. I am one of those people who report people on Yahooanswers that make racist remarks.

And you also have to realize that there is a lot of reverse racism out there, too. If I meet someone who I feel doesn't like me for the color of my skin then I can only return the favor.

And one more thing. What's with the "we are owed money because we were slaves" thing? I was not alive at the time, nobody in my family even lived in the US yet. Why should I have to give money to someone I don't even know because of what a bunch of idiots did hundreds of years ago. Yes I definately feel for the Africans that had to be slaves, it must have been just the most horrible thing in the world. But there sure isn't anything I can do about it now.

I agree 100%. I think what holds black people back the most is perpetuating the belief that they're victims. Being a victim means somebody now owes somebody something which encourages dependency. Things are changing slowly, but where it needs to change first and foremost, is in the home. Generation after generation continues to hand down the same 'mentality' because it's all they have to hand down - a dynamic no different than most everyone else's. Positive role models are making a huge difference, however the potential for exploitation wears a thin line which can also be seen as a matter of opinion and when challenged, is highly defended. I still believe it all starts in the home - that's where change needs to occur - with positive role models called parents building a strong central core through the use of logic and reasoning and depending on one's intellect.

• Impact

This to shall pass.I hope soon.TV is no different than every other media out there.They try and make us see or hear shocking things for the glory of ratings and dollars.I must admit,I have not seen a full episode of this show and I don't want to either.

I agree with you...the only way to break free from these chains that binds us is through education. Education equals freedom. We must get educated ourselves and educate our community. We need to let them know this kind of behavior is not OK. We need to inspire not tear down.