Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 1 decade ago

Can you suggest any 60's or 70's bands/singers/etc...?

I like 60's and 70's music and I only know a couple of artists from that time, but I know there are tons of artists I have never heard before. Can you suggest any of them to me?

thanks....

Best Answer

there are so many whole genres of music from that time that it's hard to begin to narrow it down.

early 60s: folk such as kingston trio, woody guthrie, pete seeger, joan baez; folk-blues like bb king, ray charles; rock-n-roll spillover from the 50s like elvis, but also new bands like the beatles, herman's hermits; motown and stax records artists from the supremes to otis redding; garage bands like the fugs; jazz was still big, from sinatra and other vocalists to charles mingus and other really cool stuff. the mid and late 60s brought some of my favorites: the psychedelic stuff, such as grateful dead, jefferson airplane, jimi, janis, country joe&the fish, pink floyd; protest folk continued with bob dylan & phil ochs; rock&roll such as led zeppelin, the who, the rolling stones; punk-ish stuff like iggy pop and bowie; progressive/space bands like the moody blues, yes, king crimson, gong, elp; country really developed from just hillbilly stuff into a popular radio format with folks like loretta lynn & johnny cash. the early 70s brought southern rock, like the allman brothers & lynyrd skynyrd; the FUNK was now more than james brown and the meters, with parliament, war, and ohio players; reggae/ska made an appearance with bob marley, peter tosh, desmond dekker & the specials; experimental music like brian eno and german synth bands like kraftwerk appeared; but pop was moving into a new corporate stage to try to undercut music that was counterculture/against vietnam/anti-racism/etc with music that said little but over-airplay put it in your head with top acts like boston, elton john, queen, and billy joel, but with the vast majority being crap that didn't measure up to comparison with those. the mid-and-late 70s brought us a new wave of ska and punk with the police, patti smith group, devo, sex pistols; disco flourished with beats that the clumsiest kid could dance to, with bands like the beegees, commodores, trammps; not content with only black sabbath and motorhead, metal appeared in its modern form with iron maiden, judas priest, and scorpions.

all of this is only counting the US, which is basically a pimple compared to all the music of the world. and has huge gaps: though it might seem complete, it is not.

hope this helps you find some starting places.

Source(s): my favorite site for surfing about music is www.allmusic.com

Kinks

Zombies

Jimi Hendrix

Jefferson Airplane

Dave Clark Five

Yardbirds

Peter Frampton

Boz Scaggs

Billy Joel

Outsiders

Grass Roots

Heart

Aerosmith

Boston

Black Sabbath

Quicksilver Messenger Service

Foghat

Bad Company

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Eric Clapton

Hermans Hermits

The Monkees

Crosby, Stills Nash & Young

Neil Young

Buffalo Springfield

Country Joe & The Fish

Grateful Dead

The Band

Bob Dylan

Jeff Beck

The Eagles

Elton John

BeeGees

Barry White

Stylistics

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

Aretha Franklin

Temptations

Supremes

Johnnie Taylor

Otis Redding

Wilson Pickett

Theres a start for ya!

There are the Byrds, Steppenwolf, Derek and the Dominoes, Blind Faith, Boston, Van Halen, KC and the Sunshine Band, The Trampps, Captain and Tenneal, Al Green, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, The Rolling Stones, Thin Lizzy, Queen, Rush, The Who, The Eagles, Lou Christie, Len Barry, Four Tops, The Temptations, Kool and the Gang, The Gap Band, Billy Joe Royal, The Troggs, The Beatles (my fav of the 60s), The Cowsills, James Brown, The Foundations, Fontella Bass, Herman's Hermits, Lovin Spoonful, Stealers Wheel, Looking Glass, Johnny Nash, Joe Walsh (before he was in the Eagles), Gloria Gaynor, Maxine Nightingale, Peaches and Herb, Free, Eric Clapton, Player, Rare Earth, Studio Group, Rose Royce, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bad Finger, Barry White and I could go on and on.

Source(s): My Musical Brain

60's and 70's? How about The Beatles, The Byrds (esp. their song Turn Turn Turn), Rolling Stones, Herman's Hermits, Monkees, The Turtles, Petula Clark (her biggest hit song is "Downtown"), Dusty Springfield, The Associations, The Temptations, The Four Tops, The Carpenters, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross and the Supremes, Marvin Gaye Jr., Patti LaBelle, Village People, ABBA, Andy Williams, The Shirelles, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie, and Pat Boone. Well, is that enough? I hope that helped you.

The O Jays, Otis Redding, The Spinners, Sam Cooke, Dion, The Platters, hmmm don't know if these are the kind you are wanting but if so can mae many many more.