how do you feel about the confederate flag...is it hate...or history????

Favorite Answer

It is a symbol. But for what? To someone in the past it was something as special as the Golden Arches is to McDonald's. However, to some, they hang it in their truck, and drive around acting like they are in hatred of African Americans. An easy answer is that to someone who would care the answer to this, its history. To someone that has no ambition and no desire to know what it truly stands for, its hate. Which, in itself, is a hypocritical statement. Uncles they go around and actually act out on their hatred toward who they claim this flag hates toward, they are nothing more than showing their opinion.

• MuhdER

As a southerner I admit it is used for both means. It is ignorance of ppl that say it is all about that. The Confederate Army fought for State Freedoms. The Union fought for Control. The Confederate flag is not the Mississippi flag. There is a piece of the Confederate Flag on our State Flag and it symbolizes the loss of lives of the PPL that fought for what they believed in. Not hate as the Northern States want ppl to believe. Southerners forgive and forget. The Northerners are the ones that have belittle the South to make themselves feel good about themselves.

History. It is an inanimate object with no meaning outside that which you attach to it. For many it symbolizes the last gasps of States Rights, and the Republic that was crushed during the War of Northern Aggression.

Personally I am offended by the Raised Black Fist symbol..and no I'm not talking about Howard Sterns logo..but I'd never ask anyone to ban it. To ask for a ban because somthing upsets you or stirs emotion makes YOU the intolerant aggressor.

Whats next..the Star of David? The "Cross"? The Crescent? The Peace Symbol? The Rainbow Flag? All offend and have negative connotations to some segment of society, all represent intolerance, depravity, or murder to someone..

I feel it's an important reminder that we have to work at being a whole country, even today. I don't feel it has any place being displayed in honor, as it only reinforced divisiveness

However, to have it displayed in a historical sense ( at reenactments, for ex ) or in museums is not offensive.

As far as I know, we don't go around flying the original colonial flag even though we were and could still be proud of it. We don't because we've moved beyond that and should honor our country at the stage it is now, with the flag that represents it. This isn't a sports rivalry we are talking about. The Civil War had brother against brother. It was a dark time in our history.

no it is not hate. But a lot of people think that it is the worst flag in the world. Well I could tell you a lot of flags that I hate, but I will not get into that. It is history and other ppl take it out of contrast. Let them think whatever they want to think about the confederate flag, but i like it. I own a lot of them

Depends why you're flying it. some state flags have the confederate flag incorporated into it, but as history. Also, I believe it was South Carolina that flew the confederate flaf in front of their state capital building as a symbol of its southern history.

The history is that of hate, so both. I don't think hatred is all that it represents though. Most people I know who still fly the confederate flag probably don't know the full history behind it anyway.

I am not predjudiced and have black friends, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the Confederate Flag. It's just a part of history.

the PC'rs are so stupid when they learned American History they didn't 'get' that the south was trying to preserve agricultural lifestyle and they were not up to being the big industrial center like the north. It was a lot less about slavery and a lot more about preserving what they had.. agriculture could have been done faster with machines, and the slave issue would have been a moot point, if the north hadn't pushed so hard about other issues.

So its all about history not hate..

heck my people weren't even from the south! or the north for that matter.. the whole issue was just twisted to suit PC guilt.

Its sort of like global warming and all their other non issues.

I'd say both. The flag represents southern rebels, but it also represents a period in history when the ugly institution of slavery was still legal. But southerners are entitled to their heritage just the same as anyone else, aren't they?