Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 decade ago

How best to get rid of really old car.?

This is for a friend of mine, but they have a really old car. Its over 30 years old, doesn't run, doesn't start, and they don't even want to see what it would cost to fix it. They tried to donate it several places and the places wouldn't even take it (I kid you not).

Is there still some way to get some money for it (they'd prefer to get any money if they can, not donate it)? If not whats the easiest way to just get rid of it for free or nearly free?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

call around to local junkyards.. Unbelieveably i had a 91 cavalier and my transmission went out and i couldnt afford to fix it i called a few junk/salvage yards asked if they were buying cars.. They'll ask year make model whats wrong and if you can drive it on or if it needs to be picked up i got 125 bucks out of my cavy and lordy it had issues.. Rust bucket started with a toggle switch full of junk.. and everything... they even picked it up.. And it was still 125 make sure you have a clear title.. and they should bring you a check or cash :) Good luck

• 1 decade ago

Give a call to your local towing company. Depending on the weight of your old vehicle they may be able to give anywhere from $15 - $25. They make money for taking in cars that are old to the junk yard, like you make money for recycling your used pop cans and bottles. Or try calling 1-800-GOT-JUNK.

- DJ Q-Paid

• 4 years ago

• 1 decade ago

what state? If it's near central missouri I might buy it. other wise check the local internet posting sites that allow you to advertise items for sale and such for free. there is almost always someone who buys old cars and scrap metal

• 1 decade ago

Donate it for charity, is faster to get ride of the car and it will be better on your taxes.

Call somebody who has a truck and get it to a junkyard.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Contact your local fire department and inform them you have a car to donate for training purposes.

Source(s): retired volunteer administrator firefighter
  • 1 decade ago

advertise with photos. who knows, one person's junk maybe other person's personal collection. good luck.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

scrap yard. you might get paid, its worth a try.

• 1 decade ago

Put it on "craigslist.org"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.