How to Lower PF Usage?

Hello. Lately I started to notice that if my computer runs for a few days the PF Usage gets very high even during idling. I know what PF Usage is and how to increase the size of it so it looks lower, but my question is: is there a way to clear it out? Lower it without increasing the size of it or restarting the machine?

Favorite Answer

It's pretty hard to define what level of paging file usage is excessive and as it appears you have a fairly good grasp of the situation I won't go into detail but I can say that there are usually good reasons for higher usage of the page file.

Generally,but not always increased PF use can be put down to the physical amount of memory installed as if an application is using a lot of ram then Windows will "swap" data in and out of the hard drive to compensate for lower ram availability,It can also occur due to processes that don't terminate cleanly and spyware/adware/viruses can also be culprits.

So in simple terms I suggest that you look at what software is loading at startup and disable anything that starts automatically that you don't really need,checl for any "nasties" on the machine,try cutting down on the number of programs you use simultaneously or consider adding more ram and it also helps to occasionally go into task manager and stop explorer.exe then restart it by choosing new task,run,explorer.exe. Explorer is known to hog the page file and stopping it then restarting can help.

hope this helps.

Source(s): 15+ Years I.T.Management

If the page file is increasing there might be a program that has a memory leak. For example FireFox is know to eat up memory. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and have a look at memory usage at the processes tab, and try to figure out if there is anything that eats up your memory. The simple solution is often to restart the program every now and then.

If you have 1GB memory or more, then you can often turn off virtual memory completely. This will give your computer a speed boost in some situations, as long as you don't go over the limit.

Check this link.