Is it true that if you put a 2nd class stamp on a postcard, it gets treated the same as if it had a 1st class?

I wondered this because I'm on holiday and I'm sending postcards to friends and family back home (still in the UK) and whats the point in spending extra money when I could just use a 2nd class one? My gran told me this ages ago but i don't know whether to believe her?!

Favorite Answer

Back in the days when your Gran was a girl there was a special rate for postcards - quite a bit cheaper than a standard letter rate - we didn't have first and second class in those days all letters were treated the same so you could put a lower value on a postcard and it would arrive next day - just like the letter.

Nowadays we have first and second class mail and there is no special rate for postcards - they are either first class or second class just like a letter- if you put a second class stamp on them they will be treated as second class.

The Royal mail say that *most* letters with a first class stamp on will be delivered next day with second class being a day or two later - so putting second class stamps on your postcards WILL delay them.

~

The postal system in this country is a lottery so I wouldn't be surprised.

I've just come back from a week in Scotland and last Thursday I sent 2 postcards, both first class and posted at the same time in the same box:

One to my parents near Birmingham, with their full address including post code - arrived the following Tuesday (5 days later)

The other to my brother in Dorset, I couldn't remember his post code - arrived on the Saturday (2 days later)

You just can't guarantee anything these days in the post.

• k

Your Gran is winding you up. A 2 Friends of mine went on holiday in the UK earlier this year - one put 1st class stamps on hers and the 2nd class on hers. The 1st class cards turned up three weeks after she returned, and the 2nd class ones have NOT turned up yet.

2nd Class Stamp

It depends on the amount of work sorters have. If all 1st class is sorted early, then 2nd class is sorted. Also, postcard are sorted manually as they don't get put through Machines so they are sorted differently.

Source(s): Postman

Sometimes 2nd class gets held up if they are busy, but normally they just sort it anyway. Takes more time to sort 1st class from 2nd class anyway

It makes no difference if 1st class or 2nd

Yes it's true they just say second class and 1st class so you spend more money.

Yes - it still gets lost in the post!

absolutely,dont waste your dosh on 1st class . it makes no difference.