Roth IRA v/s whole life insurance, which is better?

I am frustrated with my current investment company that helped me set up my whole life insurance account. They have double charged me and added fees and hidden charges. In 2 months, there have been over $200 in extra charges or extra drafts to my account. This is in addition to the monthly premium I pay for my... show more I am frustrated with my current investment company that helped me set up my whole life insurance account. They have double charged me and added fees and hidden charges. In 2 months, there have been over $200 in extra charges or extra drafts to my account. This is in addition to the monthly premium I pay for my life insurance.

I have heard that a roth IRA is better than whole life insurance, is this so, and why?
If I were to die, will my wife be able to have access to that money? is there early withdrawl fees if I die before retirement age?

I can't trust my current financial advisor, and I don't know where to turn. My credit union does not handle IRAs.

HELP?
Update: James W, I didn't want to badmouth the company I am using, but it is one of the ones you mentioned.