robme120 asked in SportsFantasy Sports · 1 decade ago

Should i draft Peyton Manning first or a running back??

i have the 6th pick

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I would take a RB.

If Shaun Alexander slides to you at six, he'd be my pick. Brian Westbrook, Rudi Johnson, Joseph Addai -- all good.

Here's the problem if you take Manning at six:

-You almost HAVE to take a RB with your second pick, and would be lucky to get a platoon guy like Maurice Jones-Drew

-While you're busy taking a second tier RB, all the top WRs like Harrison, Johnson, Smith, Owens and Holt will come off the board. You will be weaker at WR too now.

-Your second RB will at best be Ahman Green. Ecch.

Taking Manning at six compromises the depth of your entire team. Yes, he's THE top QB, and will make up for some of those points, but BALANCE is the key to success.

Also remember that Tarik Glenn retired from Manning's O-line. That's a HUGE hole to fill.

You can get Palmer, Brees or Brady in the third round, and not suffer a huge drop in talent, like the drop you'll face in RB. There are precious few FEATURE backs in the NFL.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Most of the time it makes more sense to draft a running back - you'd still be looking at some top tier backs like Addai, Rudi Johnson, Westbrook, Parker at the sixth pick.

The only reason it would make sense to think about taking Peyton before a running back is if your league gives six points for touchdown passes. Those leagues aren't very common but a few exist.

Otherwise I'd go running back.

• 1 decade ago

that is too high to take Peyton Manning with your first.

Follow these instructions:

check the scoring system for your league

look for answers to these questions:

1) does your league give points for completions?

2)does your league give 6 points for Passing TD's?

3)does your league duduct less than 2 points for throwing an INT?

4)does your league have less than 12 teams in it?

5)does your league heavily reward for passing yardage?

are you confident that Ugoh will be able to fill in for retired Tarik Glenn?

6)are there any teams in your league that, as far as you know, are enamored with peyton manning, the colts, or the QB position in general?

if you can answer yes to 3 of those 6 questions, THEN i'd say go for it!

i'm not always 100% sold on peyton manning to be the #1 QB

but this year, the colts D is hurting. they've lost two DT's, two CB's, linebacker, plus dwight freeny just got paid big $

the colts O should be spending a lot of time on the field to make up for it, and hopefully for colts FF owners they will be putting up a lot of garbage points to try and keep up

• 1 decade ago

I would take a running back with both your 1st and 2nd picks. The difference between the #1 RB and #30 running back is 12 pts. per game. The difference between the #1 QB and the #10 QB is 6 pts. per game.

So in a 10 team league if you end up with the #10 QB, you'll only be losing out on 2 FG's. But if you end up with a crappy #2 RB, you could be losing out on 2 TD's per game.

Having a Manning, Brady, Palmer or Brees is nice to have, but you only have to start 1 QB. Typically you have to start at least 2 RB's.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Peyton is hard to pass up, and he makes up for not having a top ten running back, but unless you can get a quality QB to replace Manning late in the season, I would go for running backs.

• 1 decade ago

Here's why to avoid Peyton manning. Yes he gets good points, probably more than any other player, but if things work out like they did last year and the year before and the year before that he won't be playing when you are in the playoffs.

• 1 decade ago

Take a running back first than a Quarter back later. Running Backs get more points

• 1 decade ago

Running Back definetly

• 1 decade ago

Get the best running back first. They are the most important.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

draft a running back because they get you more points. Also take the best running back that isn't parker. If Addai is there take him or take westbrook or johnson

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.