How easy is it to get a home equity loan? I would like to use that to pay off cc debt.?

Im not quite sure if I should be going to a mortgage broker to apply for one, or just go to each bank individually? Also, are there any out there that do not have a repayment penalty? I am also assuming that once the property sells the loan needs to be automatically repaid. I would also like to know how this... show more Im not quite sure if I should be going to a mortgage broker to apply for one, or just go to each bank individually? Also, are there any out there that do not have a repayment penalty? I am also assuming that once the property sells the loan needs to be automatically repaid.

I would also like to know how this will affect my credit score. Is it better to have an X amount on credit cards, or have that same amount on an equity loan.
Thanks
Update: I already know the whole "you shouldint have gotten yourself into debt" speech. My husband and I paid for our own wedding, therefore the debt.