Please help. Spider Bite?

OK, try not to chew me out. I didn't go to the doctor. I was bitten on my right breast by a spider. Now it is red and swollen, raised, looks like a whelp and itches like crazy. I would show you a picture, but I'm sure you don't need to see this on my boob. I feel awful, constant headache. I cleaned the area several times with soap, then Listerine, then anti-biotic ointment. Any other ideas?

Could this constant headache be from the bite, is that a side effect? Or am I coming down with something. I just feel like hell!!

lilabner, no. I don't think your nuts at all. Actually, I was thinking the same thing. We use meat tenderizer to treat jellyfish stings so why not spider bites. I am going to try it. Thanks a heap:~)

Favorite Answer

cheryl, do you not have health insurance? i can't imagine why else you wouldn't have GONE TO THE FRIGGIN' DOCTOR ALREADY. and what about the hubby who was bitten? is he having similar symptoms? if it was a brown recluse spider, you could lose all or part of your breast, and that's not an exaggeration--i personally knew a woman who lost a chunk of her calf to tissue necrosis due to a brown recluse bite.

The important thing to know is what kind of spider was it? Did you see it? What did it look like? You can google venemous spiders and see if you recognize it.

I was bitten by a black widow spider once, I had a very painful red lump, very large, and I felt ill for several days afterwards. I dont remember a headache, but its one of the symptoms. I just know I felt like crap -

immediate pain, burning, swelling, and redness at the site (double fang marks may be seen)

cramping pain and muscle rigidity in the stomach, chest, shoulders, and back

headache

dizziness

rash and itching

restlessnes and anxiety

sweating

eyelid swelling

nausea or vomiting

salivation, tearing of the eyes

weakness, tremors, or paralysis, especially in the legs

Wash the area well with soap and water.

Apply a cold or ice pack wrapped in a cloth, or a cold, wet washcloth to the site.

To protect against infection, particularly in children, apply an antibiotic lotion or cream.

Give acetaminophen for pain.

Seek immediate emergency care for further treatment. Depending on the severity of the bite, treatment may include muscle relaxants, pain relievers and other medications, and supportive care. Antivenin may be needed, although it is usually not required. Hospitalization may be needed.

Prompt treatment is essential to avoid more serious complications, especially in children

I was lucky, they can kill a human within about 15 minutes, so you shouldnt fool around with this.

A bite from a spider is often followed by a bacterial infection which can be more dangerous than the bite itself. The so called flesh eating spider bite is actually not the bite, its the bacteria

Symptoms of a skin infection

Infection can develop after an injury or wound to the skin or the mucous membranes, such as the inside of the mouth or nose. Symptoms of infection may include:

Pain, swelling, redness, or warmth around the area.

Red streaks extending from the area.

Pus draining from the area.

Swollen lymph nodes in the neck, armpit, or groin.

Fever or chills with no other known cause

I didnt know wolf spiders were considered venemous spiders - live and learn.

Go have it checked out, see if you can identify the spider, because they will ask you what kind it was. Some people can have some severe allergic reactions to spider bites.

The modern answer, get to a doctor. My daughter was bit 2 years ago and those critters can do some tissue damage.

My old time answer, when I was 14 and bit by a BW, an old neighbor had me chew up a big wad of chewing tobacco, place it on the bite and wrap it with gauze and tape. Next day the swelling and pain were gone.

Dear Heart...you are not being very wise in playing games with this bite. IF it was a brown recluse, you are in serious trouble and need to get to a doc or emergency room immediatley. Brown Recluse spiders live in the house, are fond of hiding in clothing and bite when disturbed. They are very venemous, cause necropsy of the tissue and can leave very bad scars..and infections that threaten your life. IF it is red, is growning in size, if you notice streaking in the surrounding area, it is hot and inflamed, get your butt to a doc immediately..you need antibiotics, and perhaps antisera...these are bites Not to be messed with! It may be nothing, but it may be very dangerous to ignore! This spider is more dangerous than the Black Widow, much more common in the south and south west...but in the summer, it is everywhere in the US...Please do not play games with this bite...it can kill!

• dragon

Take it from someone one who hikes the Appalachian Trail-Don't mess with a spider bite-period!!!

Get to a doctor now, asap.

The folks who have talked about brown recluse are very right & and a black widow is a close second.

Use brain on this common sense question, please.

Not trying to be a smart alec but I get worried when folks ignore spider bites.

Source(s): life

Everyone thinks I am nuts when I tell them this--put some oil on your breast and then sprinkle 'plain' meat tenderizer on it and put a bandaid on. It will draw the poison out. If this does not work get to a doc in a box--the ache in the head is probably a snit from the bite.

Sounds like you have been bitten by a brown recluse spider. It will not heal until you go to a doctor and he gives you the right anti-toxins for it. Don't go and you could lose your breast or worse.

Look for small red lines leading away from the bite, this is blood poisoning, bad news. This is an infection and will only get larger until it bursts or you 'pop' it for lack of better words. The bite is close to your heart, lungs and all of your other organs this could be dangerous. Please call a triage nurse that can probably answer your question better or make an appointment with your PCP.

Source(s): I was bit by a spider and didn't have health insurance. I treated myself and was only left with a scar.

Get to a doctor right away--a friend of mine almost died because she got bitten by a brown recluse spider that was in her barn. She put off going to the doctor, but hours later, she collapsed. Seriously, get to a doctor; don't take it lightly.

• ncgirl

If you notice the red turning to bruising you most likely have dead tissue and need that tissue scraped ASAP. The poision from a brown recluse continues to eat away at the tissue. Go to ER if you see signs of blue-black bruising instead of redness.

Source(s): retired LPN