Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Anyone else hate the 7th Harry Potter book?

I couldn't wait to read the last Harry Potter book. I've been a devoted fan since they first came out and pretty much grew up with them. I'm sad to see that the series is over but I'm even more disappointed in the way it ended. The beginning of the final book was to repetitive and I absolutely hated the epilogue. There’s much more I didn't like but that was part of the main reasons the book took a fall from my top five list. Anyone else think it was horrible? If so how come?

Favorite Answer

Yess! Everyone else loved it, but I despised it! It was written with a totally different style and tone than the rest of the series, and there weren't enough jokes to lighten the genocidal mood. She knocked characters off thoughtlessly, and the epilogue was idiotic. It didn't take place in Hogwarts, which was the most exciting and imagination-inspiring setting. She seemed to totally lose steam with her deadlines looming, and contract pressuring her. I'm sure it would have been much better had she had another year to write it, and now there will never be a chance to redeem herself. It broke my heart that something so nice could end so dryly, and unceremoniously.

I also found the Snape chapter terrible. I always loved snape, and found him to be the most intriguing character, and it disappointed me how childish, and 2-dimensional she made him seem. I love you, thank you for speaking your mind.

Even thought there were parts of the book I hated, I'm still willing to bet that Deathly Hallows is my favorite book of the series. I was quite upset about how long it took for the trio to get out of hiding. I never really expected that. I really suspected more of the Harry hiding in the shadows, suprising Death Eaters and kicking some bad guy *** than we got. I was expecting WAY more conflict scenes then we got. I'm also upset about how far of a gap the epilogue gave us. I was really happy about how she brought back a part of all the previoius books though. I you really pay attention, she brought back a character, area, item, etc. from every single one of the books! I was so happy about that! It gave a look back at the past and made me pause and think of how many things have changed now. I'm actually kind of glad the series is over! Now I can read the series straight through without stopping! =)

• Greek

I won't say I hated it, but I won't conceal the fact that I was extremely disappointed. It felt twisted and out of place. I do agree with what you said: the beginning was repetitive and the epilogue was tacky and strange. I felt that bit of the book was completely unnecessary, it should have been just an explanation of where all the characters were, and I would've made it five years instead of a whopping nineteen!

I'm not even finished and I can say it's the worst in the series. I know I shouldn't have been expecting so much, but I'm so bored with it right now. I'm trying to push myself to get to the end, but now, hearing how awful the end was, my motivation's gone.

I think J.K. was under too much pressure to hurry and write the last book. With more time, she could've come up with a fantastic ending.

I thought I'd be able to say Deathly Hallows was my favorite, but Goblet of Fire is still the best.

=(

NO!!! The new HP book is the best book of the series. I loved the epilogue. She told everyone how some lives ended up and that was a really great thing to do.

Dude. Be grateful. She wrote a whole Hogwarts library. I loved this book

Rowling could've done better, but WannabeWriter is right, she might've come out with a better ending if she'd taken more time with it.

no.... i think it's one of the best books in the series.

actually i think its the best in the series!♥♥♥

I think you're the only one.