What is luck?

Well meanign people always say, good luck" or someone will say part of his/her success is luck. What is it exactly? Do religious people believe in luck?

Favorite Answer

I believe it was a pagan god. I am making every effort, as God allows, to strike it from my vocabulary.

***************

Fortuna is the Roman Goddess of Luck, Fate, and Fortune, as Her name implies. She was a very popular Goddess, and was worshipped under many epithets depending on the type of luck one wished to invoke or the circumstances in play. She had many temples in Rome itself, as well as having important cult-centers in Antium (the modern Anzio), a city on the west coast of Italy about 30 miles south of Rome, and Praeneste (modern Palestrina), about 20 miles south-east of Rome, both of which were cities of Latium, the land of the Latini tribes. Her many temples in Rome, and the various aspects of Her worship are a reflection of the manners in which She was honored: from personal Goddess, overseeing the fate of the individual mother, young man, or soldier, to a Goddess of the State, ensuring the fortune of the populace, the luck of the Emperor, or the glorious fate of the entire Roman Empire.

funny thing abut the first persons response, there’s a movie, “destiny turned on the radio” or something, the primes is that there actually a luck deity and gambling was a way of worshiping, the film was set in Vegas, kind of makes sense, it’s emotional, formulaic, makes sense some things getting feed off of it, something that is a bit more benign then the casino lol. But as a Christian, no I don’t believe in luck, the odd’s are just no good, hoping for luck, faith, gratitude, prayer, all of those seam to have helped my situation much more then luck, but as a gamer (table top RPG’s mostly) I can tell you the draw of luck, I’v seen guys throw away dice that they didn’t think were lucky anymore, and did I fish them out, no, I’ve switched dice out that had his a dry spell, I don’t game any more, but I’d say luck is real, it’s like a drug, the more you feed in to it, the more you perceive it.

Depends on the person. I'm sure that some religious people believe in luck.

However in my opinion, very little success (if any) has to do with luck. It has more to do with hard work and preparation. And I believe that sometimes, God has a hand in success or lack of it.

People that have a high level of awareness are prepared. When preparation meets opportunity, that's called luck.

non-existent