Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

I am looking for a good book to read. Please post a summary along with your suggestion....?

I'm 18 years old and I'm just looking for a good summer read. I've read and liked Lord of the Flies, The Giver, Gone with the Wind, 1984, Turnabout, Feed, Stargirl, A Walk to Remember, the Pearl, the Outsiders, Neverwhere, and a lot of Ray Bradbury stuff. I also like the Monkey's Paw by Edgar Allan Poe- if there is a novel that has the same feel as it, then that would be great.

I've also read Harry Potter, Animal Farm, the Old man and the Sea, Cirque du Freak, The Grapes of Wrath, Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked this Way Comes, and the Notebook, so don't post those either.

And no books with 'adult scenes' (Flowers for Algernon is my limit). Nothing disgusting/ erotic.

Right now I'm feeling like reading a good sci- fi book, but I've never really read a book in that genre. If you can list a good sci- fi book with a teenage protagonist, I think it would work better for me. That goes for all other genres too.

• Pokey.
    Favorite Answer

the great and terrible beauty by libba bray. it is the first book in a series. i really liked it.

summary froma website:

Gemma, 16, has had an unconventional upbringing in India, until the day she foresees her mother’s death in a black, swirling vision that turns out to be true. Sent back to England, she is enrolled at Spence, a girls’ academy with a mysterious burned-out East Wing. There Gemma is snubbed by powerful Felicity, beautiful Pippa, and even her own dumpy roommate Ann, until she blackmails herself and Ann into the treacherous clique. Gemma is distressed to find that she has been followed from India by Kartik, a beautiful young man who warns her to fight off the visions. Nevertheless, they continue, and one night she is led by a child-spirit to find a diary that reveals the secrets of a mystical Order. The clique soon finds a way to accompany Gemma to the other-world realms of her visions "for a bit of fun" and to taste the power they will never have as Victorian wives, but they discover that the delights of the realms are overwhelmed by a menace they cannot control. Gemma is left wi! th the knowledge that her role as the link between worlds leaves her with a mission to seek out the "others" and rebuild the Order.

or the amulet of samarkand by jonathon stroud. it is also the first in a series.

summary:

Nathaniel is a boy magician-in-training, sold to the government by his birth parents at the age of five and sent to live as an apprentice to a master. Powerful magicians rule Britain, and its empire, and Nathaniel is told his is the "ultimate sacrifice" for a "noble destiny." If leaving his parents and erasing his past life isn't tough enough, Nathaniel's master, Arthur Underwood, is a cold, condescending, and cruel middle-ranking magician in the Ministry of Internal Affairs. The boy's only saving grace is the master's wife, Martha Underwood, who shows him genuine affection that he rewards with fierce devotion. Nathaniel gets along tolerably well over the years in the Underwood household until the summer before his eleventh birthday. Everything changes when he is publicly humiliated by the ruthless magician Simon Lovelace and betrayed by his cowardly master who does not defend him.

Nathaniel vows revenge. In a Faustian fever, he devours magical texts and hones his magic skills, all the while trying to appear subservient to his master. When he musters the strength to summon the 5,000-year-old djinni Bartimaeus to avenge Lovelace by stealing the powerful Amulet of Samarkand, the boy magician plunges into a situation more dangerous and deadly than anything he could ever imagine.

or wounded by stephen cole. another first in a series.

summary:

While on a family vacation, 16-year-old Tom Anderson has a terrifying run-in with a bear that sends him hurtling down rapids in a river, barely escaping with his life. When he wakes up, he discovers that he is being cared for by Marcie, a nurse who lives in the remote woods. Soon the teen starts to sense that something strange is going on. Not only is he feeling weird (heightened senses and a strange craving for raw meat), but also Marcie's daughter, Kate, seems to be trying to tell him something. And then one night he learns the shocking truth: the Folans are werewolves, and they have been trying to turn him into a mate for Kate. After a violent scene that leaves Kate's little brother dead, Tom and Kate flee for their lives. They must reach a witch doctor in New Orleans who can turn him back to human, but they must hurry, because the countrywide network of werewolves is hot on their trail and won't rest until Tom is dead.

Source(s): me and amazon.com

Where the Red Fern Grows is a heart touching story about love, sacrifice, success, and failure. People of all ages find it appealing because it reaches deep inside of our souls and reminds us, that though life is unpredictable and difficult at times, it's worth living. The Crooked Swan by Julie helm is also a story about love and sacrifice. It's a story that reaches deep inside every reader and pulls the best out of them. The Crooked Swan isn't an ordinary story; it's an experience about life to be cherished and held onto long after the last page has been read. Don't miss out on this wonderful read.

ok. you have to read these. they are the best books i have ever read. and before you read them, please don't start the second one with a prejudice against Jacob. he is so cool!! and everyone loves edward much better. grrr.

Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. I'll summarize Twilight for you, but i don't want to ruin anything for you.

Twilight is about a girl, she's 17, named Isabella (Bella) Swan, (she's the narrator, it's 1st person) and she is going to live with her father in Forks, Washington, the rainiest place in the US. Okay, so she goes to this tiny town and on her first day she sees these people, there are 5 of them, 2 girls, Alice Cullen and Rosalie Hale, and 3 boys, Emmet Cullen, Jasper Hale, and Edward Cullen. (her new friend tells her this) They are all very beautiful/handsome/elegant/graceful, and they are "asocial". Then shegoes to Biology and Edward Cullen gives her looks, and acts like he hates her. She has no idea what is going on. then.......well read it to find out since i'm not going to ruin it for you!!!

You should try reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. The protagonist is in high school, but it's not really sci-fi. It has a realistic fantasy feel. It's one of my favorite books, and everyone I have recomemded it too has fallen in love with it.