Why do YOU think men want to become teachers?

I whole-heartedly welcome men into the profession of teaching, but in my area, and just in the last 7 months, six male teachers (elementary, middle and high school level) were charged with sexual misconduct with a minor. I now look at the men I work with personally and wonder....

A few male teachers I have known have explained they "love kids" and most of all, want to coach. I don't believe you can coach in a school district and not be involved with the district...so usually male teachers are the sports coaches.

But, I often wonder what is happening with this....and yes, I know women teachers have done wrong...but we haven't heard a lot about that side....

If you are a male teacher or know one....what do you think? And even if you're not, why do you think men want to become teachers?

I am honestly not trying to insult anyone. I am not assuming all male teachers have ill intentions. I do not condensend anyone, especially my students. I am not saying men can not be teachers and can not be great at it.

This was also a QUESTION....based off of what has been happening in my area. As human beings, we are allowed to question what is happening in our environment. In no way am I degrading men, just simply asking why....

I welcome anyone to teach who feels a passion for it....what? I can't say that to someone who has been teaching LONGER than me? Oh, I apologize.

Favorite Answer

As a male teacher, it really is a bizarre world for us. I don't think any (or most) male teachers sign up for student love, that's a lot of work for what you could have easily got by being an on-line predator. So when so many guys get involved in things that end their careers and possibly send them to prison, you have to wonder what is happening (and it's the same with women teachers).

Not to sound creepy, but I think the desire is a hazard of the job. Giving approve, inspiring, disappointing, connecting on a mental and emotional level are all jobs of teachers and jobs for partners in relationships. We do many of the things in the classroom that we should be doing in our relationships, and we're often more successful at it in the classroom. Students grow attached to their teachers and teachers grow attached to their students because these aspects are there and are strong.... and regardless of what's taboo or not, it's not hard for attraction to grow from this.

For teachers though, men and women, they need to understand the dynamics of relationships. They need to understand that good teachers do many of the things people in good relationships do. Why? So when they do make these connections with students, they won't think it's something real. They won't think maybe this is 'forbidden love.' I think one of the worst attitudes we have now is simply saying 'relationships with students are sick'. (it is sick of course.) But it comes with a presumption that sick people are the ones doing this. And if you're not sick, you won't have to find yourself in this situation. -The truth is that none of us start sick, we all start as good teachers till that role as a good teacher blurs with the role as a good romantic partner. We have to be open about this, and open about the hazards that sometimes the lines are blurred.... and blurred emotions aren't bad or something to feel ashamed of, but blurred actions are. It should be ok for teachers in trainings and seminars to talk about how these relationships start, and teachers should feel ok about having these blurred feelings (students have them all the time), but so that we can understand that though the feelings are uncontrollable, the actions are controllable and that we can't loose ourselves in hazards of the job.

I'm in the process of becoming a teacher. I am male and I my reasoning is somewhat simple. I LOVE to teach. I love everything about it. The best is when you finally see a student "get it". After three careers in the past I have found teaching and I don't want to do anything other than this.

Your question is sort of insulting to me, but I understand why you are asking it. I could ask the same about a few female teacher who were in the news just in the past couple of years for similar offenses. I don't think the gender of the teacher matters, it's the quality of person.

As for background checks, there are plenty of them. I have three different checks and one has a finger print record. They help, but they can't say what a person has the potential to do, only what they have done in the past.

As for the dirt bags out there who prey on kids, I don't have a lot of answers on how to fix that problem. They should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but just because someone is a particular gender doesn't mean we can assume that they are a possible child predator.

I have worked as a teacher and know many male teachers and I find their reasons for teaching are the same as mine. They love children (women aren't the only ones that love children), they love to teach, and they love the feeling of giving back to the community.

Many male teachers I know feel a lot of children today are lacking a father-figure in their lives, and having a male teacher is often that missing link in a child's life.

Another reason is the time off in the summers is a good fit for men with families. Not too many jobs allow for a vacation at that stretch. Also, the room for advancement in the field of education is decent, and good retirement benefits usually come into play.

I see their motives as no different than female teachers, which are often those I listed above

Men and women both become teachers because they want to teach. Not all are perverts. Both women and men have been convicted of doing wrong with kids. What needs to happen is a back ground check before they allow people to teach, but both men and women cannot be judged over what a few have done. There are many great male and female teachers out there. If you were to judge everyone just beause of what someone else has done, then we all are murderers, rapists, child molesters, etc.

Most do so to teach. This goes for both genders entering any profession or other activity. However, it would be naive to think that a person can separate what he or she does from what he or she *is* i.e. we are all humans and thus we all have needs (as well as wants) and these are a factor, to a greater or lesser extent, in *whatever* a person does. Many people take up salsa dancing, line dancing etc. to meet a partner - well known fact. Some members of the clergy become clergymen as a factor of their sexual predisposition e.g. a male homosexual was once highly likely to suffer ostracization and even physical abuse if his sexuality were known, and since he knows he'll never marry, it makes sense to enter a profession in which his homosexuality will most likely be interpreted as piety, in which he will be respected and even revered, and in which he can get access to like-minded men and even young alter boys. It may be abhorrent, but the sex drive is a biological imperative - it cannot easily be suppressed and it will not go away without, perhaps, chemical or physical castration. Males have long and openly admitted to entering, or trying to enter, the rock profession *solely* 'to get chicks' - is this any different? Directors have long had the 'casting couch'. Note that none of these 'ulterior' motives could be used without the assent of the women. 'Glamour' photographers, pornographers, footballers, politicians, there are many professions that lend themselves to 'fringe benefits' - even gynecologist. Pedophiles have their own sex drives, warped though they may be, that need fulfilling and they go wherever children go; all parents need to be aware of this. Scout masters, primary school teachers (as has come to your attention), but also other places e.g. girl gymnastics apparently has a lot of pedophile spectators; so people in the periphery of children's activities may be potentially dangerous. I've often wondered about coaches in sports that require a particularly long relationship with their pupils e.g. swimming and tennis, in which the coach is often accepted as an integral part of the athlete's life and is often *expected* to be the 'shoulder to cry on* after defeats, through times of injury, as well as be around, even on hand, in the changing room and during massages. Humanities is a complex field and links with numerous others e.g. psychology. One can never assume. One should beware of only noticing the superficial; most, if not all, things have layers and potential depths that can be overlooked. That said, pedophiles are rarer than a parent tends to think. People also have a predisposition to tell the truth i.e. careful observation and listening can usually reveal an untrustworthy person. Dangerous people such as pedophiles must operate in secrecy from *everyone*, not only parents, and far more people who are also a part of a child's circle, have children of their own, than pedophiles; these will be being vigilant for all children. Also, of course, most people who don't have children want to see children protected, so they too can notice potential threats to public safety.

I have been teaching for 9 yrs now, and frankly, I do it because it is the most fun I have had at a job. I enjoy kids' vivacity, and openness, and they are going through an interesting period of their lives when so much is possible, and occasionally you get to be there at the right time and help out. A lot of kids really need a stable adult in their lives, and sometimes you, the teacher can help. But aside from all that, I do it because teaching is fun - presenting stuff they think should be boring, and showing them why intelligence is so cool.

I think most male teachers get into the profession because they love teaching and love children.

Granted, you'll always have your few bad apples that want to ruin it for everyone else.

Interesting

What a horrible assumption to start with. I am so glad you welcome me into your profession that I have been in longer than you. Do you bring those assumptions to your dealings with your students?

sexist and myopic.

those things are not teachers, they were predators and should be strung up. But another dangerous thing is your condescencion. That can certainly be brought to a classroom. You are dealing with school kids! They are at the age where they are just figuring things out, I sure hope you are not assigning gender roles with your day to day comments.

How does this sound?

women should be.... I will not finish because this is what we dealt with 50 years ago.

We do find all the predators, those who simply patronize can stick around for years.

Duh, men enter the profession for similar reasons women do.

They enjoy doing this kind of work.

Some end up doing it because they wanted to coach.

Some end up doing it because they couldn't get into medical/physical therapy/etc. programs.

Some don't like the corporate world.

There are lots of reasons.