Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Substitute for meringue powder?

My boyfriend is allergic to eggs and gelatin. I was wondering if anyone knew of anything I could use instead of meringue powder to make royal icing?

I will be forever grateful for anyone who could answer my question! =]

• angela
    Favorite Answer

I found this on the Wilton website (www.wilton.com) in their discussion forum. Maybe it will help. Another option is to use buttercream frosting. You can make it without meringue powder.

ROYAL ICING - ORIGINAL & EGGLESS

8 oz pure icing [confectioner's] or powdered sugar [2lb]

1 egg white substitute* [4]

4 drops acetic acid [1/4 tsp.]

coloring

Sift the sugar into a large bowl. Beat the egg white lightly. Make a well in the sugar and add the acid and some of the egg substitute. Beat thoroughly, adding more egg substitute as required to give a stiff consistency.

ROYAL ICING - EGGLESS

* egg substitute:

Dissolve 1/4 oz. unflavored gelatin [depends upon strength of brand] in 1 1/4 cups hot water. Let sit until cold BUT not set. Four teaspoons of this mixture is approximately equal to 1 egg white. It should be used in exactly the same way as egg white in a royal icing recipe.- 1966 cookbook

• lunger

Substitute For Meringue Powder

Meringue Powder Substitute

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Substitute for meringue powder?

Source(s): substitute meringue powder: https://biturl.im/awCrS

Unfortunately, you're going to have to look for another type of icing =( There are no real meringue powder substitutes that do not use eggs or gelatin in some manner.

The Wilton website sells royal icing mix.

you need to use aquafaba. google it.