vita64
vita64 asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Why aren't deer raised for meat like cattle?

My friend and I figure that the original reason might have involved the height of the fencing required, but that seems like a surmountable obstacle given modern technology.

Best Answer

seems to me that people with deer leases are raising the deer for meat just like cattle

they feed em with their feeders til the deer get fat and used to coming there

then they Hunt em

No... For one thing, you don't need to raise deer, they raise themselves. All you need to do is buy a licence to Shoot them. In the US the deer population is doing very well. Deer are one of the few animals that were able to adapt to living in urban settings and frequently roam through cities and often across busy highways. The other reason is that cattle are much better at converting food into meat. We wouldn't have been raising them all this time if they weren't. The problems that do occur from cattle are in situations where an animal is introduced into an environment that they are not suited for. It's like introducing an invasive species into an environment that cannot handle it. Putting cattle into a tropical area is not a good idea since they are temperate plains animals. You need to have the correct type of animal for the correct type of environment you live in. Goats & sheep do well in arid and dry places. Cows do well in plains. I'm not sure what would be good for tropical settings. And some places, like jungle are just not supposed to have herds of animals being farmed there. As long as you do not have too many cattle in the amount of space you have for them they do not harm the environment any more than any other animal. Packing too many animals into a small space however will cause the same effect no matter what kind of animal it is.

Axis deer, Fallow deer, Elk, Red Deer and Reindeer are all raised for meat in the United States. Millions of whitetail deer are raised behind high fences here in Texas. People pay huge amounts of money to hide in a little building near the feeders and shoot the deer as it eats its breakfast. More fun I guess than going to the grocery store or the butcher shop.

We have deer and moose farms here in Canada where they are raised for meat.The meat is much better as it is not "wild" tasting.

And...........no jokes about the wild north here either.We have four seasons and do not for the most part live in igloos. lol

They are domesticated and let people approach them if raised that way and are not wild.

We farm them here in New Zealand, and just have 6' high fencing.

Many people think of "Bambi" when it comes to eat venison, and are put off.

It is quite expensive so I only buy venison sausages.

Edit

It is a very lean meat.

I heard they are too skittish and people never succeeding in domesticating them. Cattle will allow a person to approach it but deer run away. They are also faster and more difficult to catch in order to domesticate. Domestication takes hundreds of years.

there are deer farms up in the north of Scotland and have been for a few years now.

I live in Minnesota and they have elk and buffalo farms here! Good question, it does make such a tasty treat!

People still love the thrill of the hunt & kill.

They would make the deer fat if they were to hoard them like they do for fat baby cows.