top floor flat versus ground floor - values?

Hi - is there a difference in the value of a top floor flat versus an identical ground floor flat? If both are exactly the same layout and the only difference is the level, what are the value differences, please?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Speaking for myself only and because I have lived on the top floor.....I would choose the top floor because you don't get the noise that you might get in the downstairs apartment such as the sound of walking, or a child bouncing a ball, party noises, the sound of the upstair's commode flushing, etc.

I also like the view from an upstairs apartment.

The only thing I like about downstairs apartments is not climbing stairs.

A plus for downstairs is if you entertain often.....you and your guest can sit outside in back. Your guests do not have to climb stairs.

I would say it depends on whether or not you entertain often. If you do entertain, choose the lower apartment.

If you have a ground floor flat you are more likely to solely occupy the gardens and if you have the top floor flat you will need extra insurance for the roof (if you have one).

I was lucky and my husband and i lived in the middle flat in a three story building. we were able to leave all the windows open whenever we wanted and the guy downstairs gave us a key to the garden and the guy upstairs had alot of probs with a leaking roof. So i would say middle is better if you can find one.

• john s

the top floor is often regarded as the penthouse and so usually costs more but think of the advantages with the bottom floor no walking upstairs no lift to break down eradicating the need to walk upstairs and if you buy a heavy piece of furniture its easier to put in a ground floor flat than having to negotiate several flights of stairs when you,ve found it won,t go in the lift as long as your alarmed and better still are allowed some sort of guard dog

The top floor flat may have more value due to views and no noise from above. Also less likely to be broken into.

I always liked the extra safety of the second floor. I know people can break in to the second floor, but it's easier to break in to the first floor. Maybe they'll leave your place alone!Just make sure you have a few options for fire exits.

• lana s

when I was younger I always wanted a two story house.

But as I have gotten older and had problems and seen so many, who just can't climb those stairs. If there is not an elevator and only stairs, I sure would want the bottom and no have to try to carry groceries and things up stairs.

ground floor flat is safer to get out of in emergencys etc an you can have a garden etc

look into the deeds, sometimes the top floor has to maintain the roof and pay for any repair.

is it cold where you live? top levels are usually warmer heat rises, easier on the gas bill

less noise in a top flat.

better view.

plus i like to be on top lol