Can I lay ceramic tile over linoleum if the linoleum is in good shape? Will the mortar adhere to the linoleum

Kitchen floor has linoleum and I have been told I can just lay put the mortar on the linoleum then lay the tile, is this true?

Best Answer

If the vinyl is stuck to the floor and in good shape, you can lay ceramic directly on top of it. The thin set will set up properly. If any areas, say in the doorway are peeling up....cut them back to an area where they are solidly adhered. That's what I had to do in my bathroom. I had no choice but to lay over the existing vinyl...and everything is perfect.

The trick with vinyl....I know you said linoleum....but sometimes that's a generic term....most times, it's vinyl....the trick with vinyl....if it was installed before 1982, the backing and the adhesive have asbestos in them. Mine was much older than 1982. Yes, you can keep the vinyl VERY wet while scraping it off the floor, to keep the fibers out of the air, but...you usually come out with an uneven surface, but if it's still adhered to the floor...why bother to remove it. If it's older than 1982....removing vinyl is still quite a chore.

To put down an underlayment will only be raising the level of your floor, when that's not called for. When you put down an underlayment and then ceramic...you then have to make sure that the A: dishwasher will still come out from under the countertop if need be. B: The dishwasher will still FIT under the countertop.

When installing over the vinyl, you should have enough adjustment in the legs of the dishwasher, to raise them up and still have room to remove it if necessary.

Source(s): Flooring manager, retail store - 10 years

You can lay tile over linoleum as a short term solution. Eventually the mortar will break down the surface of the linoleum and begin to cause problems. If the subflooring is a concrete slab then just remove the linoleum and adhesive. If the subflooring is wood then just install 1/8" or 1/4" underlayment right over the top. Just remember if you have a dishwasher to remove it and tile underneath it. This will make it easier if the dishwasher ever has to be repaired or replaced.

Source(s): Custom Home Builder 25+ yrs

Follow manufactures directions. One you need a hard flat surface as in plywood flooring or MDF type surface. This makes for a solid foundation and avoid expansion and contraction movement in the flooring. This also allows for a good bond with the mastic to the floor because of the grain.

Applying over linoleum the mastic may not bond completely because of the smoothness of the linoleum. As well as possible expansion and contraction of the flooring underneath the linoleum. This cost big bucks to do a job that takes shortcuts. If a tile setter wouldn't do it why would you?

Source(s): Handyman for 20 years

Wouldn`t recomend laying anything over linoleum, need a good flat surface to lay tiles. Linoleum has a tendency to have air pockets where the glue/backing has weakened over time--tiles might start cracking or shifting.

No, I don't think that will work for long. The linoleum has to be removed, or at least put a new floor of plywood down first.

It will adhere better if you make sure to scuff up the linoleum. Use sandpaper on it, cut it up with razors a little bit. Just to give it something to stick to. It will work fine if you do that.

http://www.rcwstone.com

You can and it will probably be fine. But don't do it just pull the old floor up it's not that hard. Don't take shortcuts.

Yes its true. we have done it and it works just fine.