Chi Guy asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why do ne-cons defend the flag of treason that True Republicans died defeating in the Civil War?

flag of treason = CONfederate flag.

Best Answer

If you are talking about the Confederate flag, I honor it as a banner under which my ancestors died (verified). I do not consider it a banner of racism, but I can understand those who do. In the modern era, it represents to me a region with its own culture. My patriotism ceased to be an issue up for question in Iraq. It is a part of our shared history that can remind us all that we are stronger united. Stars and Bars forever. By the way Ne-cons is the questioners attemp to spell neo-cons, or new conservative. I dont know who he has observed defending it lately, but if this is the biggest of our problems he can contemplate, we'll certainly forgive his bungling a key word in his question.

• Serena

You've got your history mixed up. If you want to know the real cause and reason for the Civil War and its aftermath, watch Gods and Generals. Until you know the truth, you cannot have a healthy debate.

Neo-conservatives are for as little federal government control as possible. The morons who use the "rebel flag" as a symbol for racism ruin the true meaning behind the Civil War. The federal government was trying to take over the right for states to create their own laws and regulations which were granted by the 10th Amendment to the Constitution. It was ratified the same time the Constitution was. Without the first 10 Amendments (The Bill of Rights) in place, the Constitution would not have been ratified. The 10th Amendment gave states the right to make laws and regulations on their own if they weren't specifically listed in the Constitution as Federal responsibility. The Federal government was favoring the North when it came to trade and regulations dealing with "fair trade" among other issues. SC seceded from the Union in Dec 1860. They did so because the Federal government was encroaching on state's rights that were granted by the 10th amendment. Slavery was only an issue once the war had been going on for years because the North was wanting their men home and their lives back to normal. So Lincoln abolished slavery and that gave the North more reason to fight the war. Lincoln's family owned slaves, he supported using slaves and he even gave several speeches calling the "***** Race" inferior to the white race. But, when the North got tired of fighting, he had to have SOMETHING to get the North angry, so he used slavery.

The flag that is being defended was not a flag of treason. The South was only exerting their right to protect their rights which were guaranteed by the 10th Amendment. If the federal government hadn't walked all over the South with their unfair tariffs on their products, SC would not have seceded from the Union.

The flag is used by many people as a symbol of State's Rights. But, regrettably, ignorant people view it as a symbol of slavery. It wasn't symbolic of slavery then, but it is now just because the KKK and other white supremacist groups have used it as a symbol of their "cause".

Actually learn the truth about the war before you stir up comment from ignorant people who will likely post in response to your inflammatory question.

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War And a quote from Lincoln: "My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause." The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume V, "Letter to Horace Greeley" (August 22, 1862), p. 388. http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0846562.htm... http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/al16.... I have a BA in history and cannot suffer ignorance.

How is it treason to use a state's right to secede from the union so that the federal government cannot violate the sovereignty of the state?

I wish my state would secede from the union. I'd be better off without the socialist state stealing my hard earned and tiny paycheck, pissing away my tax dollars on failed and unneccessary programs, and watching medicare and social security slowly die, a system I have been paying into since I first started working, but will be bankrupt by the time I qualify for a payoff.

I'd trust my local government to pick up where the feds left off, in terms of neccessary state services. I'd slash the armed forces budget, most of the welfare (especially for drunks and drug addicts) and spend it all on schools and tax refunds. Then I'd lower property and sales taxes across the state and let people earn enough money to afford health insurance, and so they can save for retirement. And anyone on Social Security gets to keep it, because they paid into the system.

The rebel flag does not mean slavery to everyone. For many, it stands as a symbol of the stand against federal corruption and abuse of power. Since the civil war, the federal government has gotten much too powerful.

While I agree that slavery should have ended and civil rights were a serious concern, the federal government has done me and my entire family NO GOOD WHATSOEVER. And we are not "rich" nor "Republican".

The federal government is a bloated festering pile of slimy lawyers and lobbyists stealing everyone's hard earned income.

Source(s): Edit: A thumbs-down is a poor substitute for a rebuttal. It's a lot more like whining to mommy that the mean man won an argument.
  • Den

Are you referring to the Confederate Flag?If you are,it is protected by the Fourth Amendment which is a guarantor of free speech and assembly.Within the Fourth is the barring of warrantless search and seizure too.

If someone or a group wants to march around like a bunch of idiots waving a Confedrate Flag,it is allowed.

No one can simply bar the assembly,it must be creating disorder.

When I say disorder,I mean a riot.There must be unlawful conduct to break up the assembly.

It must be that way to protect the ability of everyone to assemble,including goofballs.

In every healthy organism,there will be the parasites that feed on it.

Like mosquitos,you just gotta swat em.Carry an American Flag as a bug spray,sew it on if you have to.

I did that while in Germany with the Army.

Source(s): I am a Neo-Con (Neo-Conservative or "New" to the uninitiated.)

ne-cons? like decepticons? what? flag of treason? what flag is that? Which republicans are the true ones and which civil war are you talking about? I think your question should be deleted because it doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't know anyone that is a conservative who has a Confederate flag or flys it as opposed to Old Glory, you need to get a reality check as ususal

I just had to comment on Serena's answer. It's refreshing to find someone who knows their history. I had family on both sides of the war my great grandfather fought for the Confederacy and he didn't fight to preserve slavery he never had slaves but he did believe in states rights.

You mean the spanish civil war ?

If I were a neocon I would have a "rebel flag" on my lawn just like other like minded hillbillies.

Republicans died freeing blacks AND keeping America united.

Democrats died to try to keep blacks enslaved, and hated America enough to leave and start a new country.

Those are facts that nobody can dispute.