CAN I DO THE BIG THREe?

I HAVE A 800WT AMP WITH ONE 10" AND ONE 12" SUBFOOFER. MY STOCK ALTERNATOR ON MY COROLLA SEEMS LIKE ITS NOT CHARGING THE BATTERY. ON THE AUTO PARTS STORE THEY SAID IT WAS CHARGING WELL BUT A BIT UNDER THE USUAL. I SAW ON A FORUM ABOUT THE BIG 3. IT SAYS IT SHOULD BE ON A HIGH OUTPUT ALTERNATOR. WOULD IT BE SAFE TO DO IT ON MY ALTENRATOR??? IF YES, WHAT CABLE SIZE SHOULD I PUT ON?

Favorite Answer

A second battery is never a good idea as it's an added strain on the alternator to charge two batteries AND supply power for the car. The ONLY time a second battery is useful is if the audio system is to be used with the car off.

If your total system power is 1000 watts RMS or more, you will need to:

1. Upgrade the alternator to a high output alternator

2. Upgrade to a heavy duty deep cycle battery

3. Upgrade the "Big 3" - that is to replace the power wire between the battery and alternator, the ground from the battery to the chassis and the ground strap from the engine/tranny to the chassis with at least 1/0 AWG wire.

Failure to do this will result in you replacing them anyway as the alternator will eventually fail.

Here is a guide that will calculate what size alternator and power wires you need http://www.datafilehost.com/download.php?file=6d26...

You'll need Microsft Excel to use it.

See my site for more info http://spkrbox1.spaces.live.com/

Source(s): A.A.S. degree in Electronics/Industrial Electronics with 25 years in the mobile audio/consumer electronics field
  • TE5LA

Alternators, like amplifiers, have a current rating. You need to find out what yours are. If the amp's current draw is equal or more than your alternator, you may have problems. You may want to add an additional battery and a dual-battery isolator to your system. The isolator must match or exceed the rating of the alternator.

It may cost some bucks, but if you want to dance, you must pay the piper.

Source(s): I have been a professional mobile electronics installer for 25 years.