I had my blood taken and My results showed HEP B SUR AB for immunity to viral infection of the liver positive?

What does it mean??

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This means that you have antibodies in your system against the hepatitis B virus. If you have had the hepatitis B vaccination series in the past, your test result shows that the vaccine was effective-it caused your body to create antibodies against the virus, that is you're immune.

If you did not get the vaccine and don't recall ever being diagnosed with hepatitis B in the past, it means you have had a hepatitis B infection in the past and your body responded by creating Hep B antibodies.

Many times infection with Hep B is "sub-clinical", meaning that some persons exposed and infected with it do not have severe enough symptoms to seek medical care. Sometimes people who think they had a "touch of the flu" actually had a Hep B infection. Unless they went to seek medical care and got tested they would not know they ever had a Hep B infection.

The Hep B surface antibody test is done to diagnose people who have had Hep B in the past or, in people who have received the Hep vaccine, it is used to assess their "immune status" to see if they had adequate antibody response after the Hep B vaccine.

Hep B vaccine is among the routine childhood immunizations for some years now. So checking the Hep B AB (AntiBody) level is done in health care workers in job application process, entering college students, armed forces entrance, etc. to ensure active immunity.

If immunity not adequate some recommend getting a booster vaccine.

Hope this answers your question.

Source(s): I'm a doc
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Well your immune to Hep B and should have your liver function repeated in few weeks

• dedum
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

It means you have probably had the HepB vaccine and you are immune to the virus....

We need more lab results (the surface antigen) to determine if there is a carrier state (meaning chronic HepB infection). But basically, this probably means you have had the vaccine.

• 1 decade ago

if you dont do bad things, bad things wont happen to you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.