RE: Green Card?

Hi , I have a green card I am married have been for 7 years! I recall that my husband had to sign a piece of paper that made him responsible in some ways for me for 10 years. Can someone help me on this please I am in a really horrid situation and need to know the in 's and outs. We will be getting a divorce. Many thanks Pls do not respond negatively as I am very very unhappy and just want to know what to expect.

I am British for the record now living in Florida.

Favorite Answer

What your husband signed is a Affidavit of support, also called the I-864. When he signed it he became responsible for you financially for the next 10 years, regardless of divorce. The only way he can get out of it is by you leaving the country, or death. The reason he signed it is because the US government does not want to have to support you in case you do divorce and so you will not become a ward of the state. Meaning if you go on welfare, or need government assistance, (they will not deny you) they can and will turn around and sue him for the money and assistance they provided to you. I hope this helps you, if you need more information you can go to www.uscis.gov and go to forms and look for the I-864. It will tell you exactly what you need to know. Good luck, I hope everything turns out for you!

Source(s): I signed it for my hubby!

Well, the Affidavit of Support that you're referring to has more to do with promising the US government that you won't need to rely on public funds, like welfare, because he will support you. However, many states don't really rely on it before paying out state funds and I imagine you'd end up in court attempting to enforce it as a legal document forcing him to pay you personally any money. You should talk to your attorney about that, but since it's a Federal document I would think you'd have to go into a Federal court and I wouldn't care to predict the chances of it being upheld in that manner. However, since you are in the process of getting a divorce, I imagine your chances of getting alimony or some sort of financial settlement with your soon-to-be-ex would be much better.

• skip

You may want to ask an immigration attorney. It is a quick question if you know the answer. When I immigrated six years ago my immigration attorney told me the term is three years from the date you obtained your Green Card. I see that the latest form says, in effect, a maximum of ten years.

Remember, the contract is between HIM and the US Government. It does not impact you (at least not directly) after your divorce. If you want to resolve it once and for all, you could apply for citizenship. That releases the obligation.

It's called an affidavit of support.

Source(s): I signed one for my fiance.