Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 decade ago

Southerners? When cooking gumbo, when do you add the okra, at the beginning of cooking or toward the end?

The goal is to create as little slime as possible...so true Southern cooks...your procedure?

Favorite Answer

Saute the okra in butter or oil until tender, remove from heat. Then add it to your Gumbo right before serving, there will be NO slime. As for File' powder, NEVER let it come to a boil, it turns nasty and stringy, add it only after you are all finished cooking the dish. It will thicken the sauce if you bring the gumbo to a boil and then TAKE IT OFF THE HEAT before you stir the file powder in. (PS File was used by the Indians in Louisana to thicken their stews LONG before the Acadians arrived).

I would leave mine whole and add the last 20 mins of cooking.If you are putting a tomato base in,the slime will be low.The acid from the tomatoes helps.If you add at the beginning they will cook down to nothing.They don't take long to get tender.Wish I was invited,putting some andouille sausage in it?Happy eating to you.( hey I read above me about the file',I sprinkle mine on,never in the pot).Don't forget the potato salad and white rice....

It depends on how old and how big it is, the larger need more cooking, the smaller one take less time.

As the first gentle man said sauting does take some of the slimey qualitys away, but just dropping them in about 15 minutes before thend of cooking right around the time you put the file powder in and do your final seasoning.

I agree that it depends on how old and large the okra is. However, I never add the file' powder before removing the pot from the heat. I add the okra approx. 20 minutes before the end.

Saute the okra before transferring them to your stew. This will reduce the sliminess. The okra is added in the beginning along with the tomatoes.

Greens take less time to cook and will wilt quickly so I would add it towards the ends to avoid over cooking it.

The slime helps to thicken the soup!