Why do I feel like I am slower with ABEC 9 Bearings as opposed to ABEC 5?

I just bought brand new BSB ABEC 9 bearings for my roller hockey skates (NIKE). I did not lube them up before putting them in because they come pre lubed. Now, I played my first game with them last night, and I felt so uncomfortable with them. I feel like i was skating on glue. It seemed as if I needed to push twice as hard as with my ABEC 5 bearings. Can anyone relate to this? or does anyone have any suggestions as to why they feel this way?

Thanks alot.

Best Answer

If they are brand new, thats why...you got to wear em in first, then they will be fine

The number of the ABEC doesn't determine how fast you go, just how long the wheel keeps spinning after you stop pushing. Basically, it depends on the skater. However, if you feel as though you're having to work harder, you may have tightened the nut too much. ONe good way to judge the right tightness is once you've tightened the nut, make sure the wheel isn't wobbly, then spin the wheel and count 10 seconds. After ten seconds the wheel should still be rotating (slowing down, but still moving). If the wheel doesn't spin for at least 10 seconds, then loosen the nut just a little then try again.

anyone that says a higher abec rating doesnt mean a faster wheel is kiddin themselves. spin a wheel with an abec 1 and then spin a wheel with an abec 5 . the 5 will spin faster and longer everytime. but ya it sounds like yours havent been broken in. or iono maybe you tightened the axel to much.

If the bearings have been sitting untouched for a while, the lubricant can pool in one area.

A couple of hours of use should distribute the lubricant evenly, thereby enabling more consistent wheel spin. Did you notice an improvement by the end of your game?

1.break them in

2. there is no speed difference between an abec 3 bearing or an abec 9 bearing

the higher the number..the more abuse it can take..not the faster it goes

the abec rating doesent mean the higher the faster it just means the higher the more tighter raceways and a bunch of crap that you or I will never understand

• oompa loompa