Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsInfectious Diseases · 1 decade ago

there was a water fountain, and a person dropped his blood there, is there a chance for a drinker to be infect

if there was a water fountain.. and a man with no current HIV test like about a teenager dropped blood on the fountain.. about drop of blood.. is there any chance that people who drinks on the fountain would be infected?

Favorite Answer

HIV can not live outside of the body for more than a few minutes so your chances are slim to none. I work in a hospital lab and if I was my hands with soap and water for a good minute or two AFTER a needle stick, my chances of contracting are almost none..

I don't think you would have anything to worry about.

Only if the person is positive would there ever be a chance. There is also Hepatitis C, which is just as deadly if not more so than Aids with treatment today. So, the answer is if any positive person's body fluids enter the body fluid of another person there is the possibility of transmission. The degree of blood and the transfer would play a role...it is a disgusting and very irresponsible thing for anyone to do and the people in charge of the fountain need to be told even if it is in confidence.

Source(s): Medical education and experience.

Not having had an HIV test doesn't mean someone has a disease.

Water fountains are designed to provide clean water out of the spout.

If you are concerned, don't lick the bowl the water falls into, only drink from the water that comes out of the spout.

And no, that really is one of the myths about HIV, AIDS and other contagious and frightening diseases and conditions. You can't get it that way.

I also have a waterer the place the water flows down a ramp particularly than spilling out in a flow. My cats all like it. If the kitten can attain it, i do no longer see a issue. through fact the waterer has a recirculating pump and a filter out, the water could be extra energizing than an basic bowl. it is formed so it won't be able to be tipped over and the bowl is shallow adequate that the kitten could get out if it fell in. yet like the rest, now and back the newness wears off, so I also have a commonplace bowl of water on the different end of the abode. The water ranges in the two look to decrease daily, so i think of they're the two getting used.

If blood falls in water it will dissolve. If the blood is infected, then it will depend upon the amount of water present in the fountain and the percentage of the infected blood going into the system of the person who drinks. normally many of the diseases do not get propagated through blood unless there is direct transfusion or direct contact. Drinking traces of blood may not bring any infection as such.HIV virus cannot live outside the blood of humans.

scare me the fouNTain needs to be cleaned with bleach

i would,nt chance it even if it was safe

I'm a Can Ive seen horrible deaths from hep type c

very less chance , until the person(who drinks) had any abrasion or ulcer in his mouth cavity or in upeer gastro intestinal tract. because this blood mixed water will be absorp through stomach and there is no chace of contact with other blood vessels (if not ulcerated)

• andy t

the hiv virus cannot live very long outside of the body, so whilst the chances are not zero, it would be a long shot!

it's not very hygenic though! as other infections can live outside the body and are transmissable in water!

yes drinking fountains carry alot of germs from everywhere no tellin

It makes me curious as to why you are asking this question??