Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

why this new generation maintenance free exide batteries failing so early than the other old type?

I have gone for a new generation exide ATB55B24L car battery and it failed within the 3 years warranty time. old batteries i used to get for more than 4 to 5 years trouble free. why is it so?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Many factors contribute to battery life, type of car, climate, and placement of the battery. I have had the same group size battery in various Ford's and only averaged 2 years, and had the same brand battery same group size last 8 years in a Toyota. When batteries are placed in high heat areas they detoriate quicker, this is why some companies place batteries under the rear seat, trunk etc to keep high heat away from the battery. Also when batteries are subjected to vibration it causes the plates to shift further breaking down the battery.

My view is that maintaince free batteries like the AC Delco Sealed batteries are worthless , when they fail it always seems that the ends bubble (they are not flat like a new battery) this leads me to believe that the battery is not venting properly leading to its failure. All maintence free batteries have a similar design to the delco's

If you want reliability in a battery then switch to Optima or the exide orbital series of batteries.

• 1 decade ago

Because when they say 'Maintenance Free" they're lying. Most of them still have 2 caps you can pop off (they tell you not to) to re fill the chambers when they get low on water/electrolytes. Most batteries last much longer if you keep an eye on the water levels. They make their money by 'pro-rating' the guarantee. This mean, basically, that the longer you have the battery, the less money you get back. Depending on a company's profit mark up, The battery only has to last longer than whatever it cost the company to produce it for it to be profitable to them. The idea of a guaranty proving that the product is well made and will out last the warranty has become nothing more than a marketing ploy to get your repeat business on items you might choose to replace with another brand when it wore out past the warranty. Cheap mass production for immediate profit has taken the place of quality and durability that was once the hallmark of the term 'American Made."

Sky

Source(s): Life with eyes wide open
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

CHEAP BATTERIES LAST ON THE AVERAGE OF 2000 TO 3000 CRANKS OF THE ENGINE.

GOOD BATTERERS LASTS ON THE AVERAGE OF 4000 TO 6000 CRANKS OF THE ENGINE.

ALSO A LOT HAS TO DO WITH WHERE YOU ARE LIVING AND THE TEMPERATURE.

Source(s): 923
  • bungee
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

our economy runs on building things to fail, that way you get to buy a new one quicker thus helping the economy. this trend started in the late 70"s

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.