Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Anyone else like the movie ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK??

I love it, Kurt Russell is great, I love the character Snake Pliskin. Its not a movie anyone really talks about much or knows, anyone else like the movie??? And what about the first section with the plane, it looks a little fake, but technology certainly has come far since they made that movie.

Favorite Answer

...a very dark and iconic character, Snake Plisskin; pretty much made every forget that Kurt Russell got his start in Disney films...

...as you mentioned, the special effects and set design WERE substandard, but you have to admit that the John Carpenter production crew WERE pretty damn clever, resourceful, and did the very best they could, with the budget they were working with...

...for instance, the neon/black-light outline effect of the city, as Snake was flying over it, was absolutely genius; it I had not seen the behind-the-scenes documentary, revealing that this method was used to simulate computer graphics, I would have assumed that this WAS early computer graphics...

...keeping the film well into the graphic, campy, tongue-in-cheek-humored comic book meld, definitely made the film so much more compelling and fun; it is unfortunate that they took that overall attitude, and amplified it to an almost unbelievable and ludicrous level, when they did the sequel, "Escape from L.A."...

...it is also unfortunate, and in case you haven't heard, that "Escape.." is falling victim to the cookie-cutter remake routine; apparently, New Line Cinema picked up the rights for the remake, and has already cast "300" star Gerard Butler as Plisskin. No directer has been announced, as yet...but I really gotta say that there couldn't possible be more of a bad idea, than attempting to remake this classic...

It is OK. Not great though. Maybe 2 1/2 stars out of 5. I don't even remember the plane. I've seen the movie but the last time I saw it I came in after the beginning. A number one

Way back when, I loved that movie. Kurt Russell was awesome!! And remember Earnest Borgnine? Now I think it's kinda dorky, but hey, that's my era.

classic. love that movie. they're (surprise surprise) remaking it. gerard butler from 300 is playing snake in it.