Opinions: Should I keep a laptop with no warranty?

My father has bought a new laptop. It's pretty decent, has long battery life (was told it was 6hrs..unsure about that though), vista, dvd recorder, etc... I'd like to use it for classes due to the battery life.

Unfortunately, my father got it at a bargain deal (that's all he'll ever shop for), and the warranty is estimated at about 50% the cost of the laptop itself. Due to this my father said he won't take out a warranty on it.

I feel uncomfortable with saving important files on a laptop that I'll be carrying around, knowing that if something happens to it then that'll be it. My father, who never uses computers, doesn't understand my concern with saving files onto a computer that he says we can just "throw away" if it breaks.

Your opinions - should I refuse to use it or try it out? I'm not accident prone or anything like that, but I figure there's always bound to be a problem occur.

Update: I"m not complaining. I am merely being precautious. There is a big difference between the two.

• Bill P
    Favorite Answer

Most warrantees arent that great anyway. You can store your

work on discs, or memory sticks. Keep the LT and just use it senseably. @ no games, music, pics

Here are some questions you should ask yourself:

1. Do we have the money to buy another one if this one breaks?

- If yes, then do not buy the warranty

2. Is it an older laptop?

- If it's an older laptop, I would not put a warranty on it.

3. Do you have a flash drive or an SD card?

- If you do, save your important files on this and the computer, so you will have 2 copies of the files and e-mail them to yourself for extra protection. Warranty or not, you still may not be able to get the files off the harddrive if the harddrive fails.

Sounds like your Dad got a good price on it and you are getting it for free - can't beat that price. My advise is to go out to Walmart (or store of your choice) and for $20-40 you can get a USB flash drive in the 1GB range that will give you all the storage space you need to save your work files. This way you will learn to build good 'Backup' habits right off the bat. Anytime you save a file; save it first to the laptop's harddrive so it will load into your program faster when you need it again, and then save it again onto your flash drive. Then, maybe once a week save everything to a DVD data disk just in case the flash drive fails (no they are not perfect.) That way, if your laptop ever does bite the dust you will still have your data files, docs, spreadsheets, presentations, etc. which you could (in an emergency) take to your on-campus media center and load into the software on a campus computer to complete your assignments if it came to that till your dad could find another great deal ... lol. Enjoy your new laptop.

• dgey1

quit complaining... you're getting a laptop for nothing. rule number 1... always back up your work... rule number 2... always back up your work. usb memory sticks and cd's are woefully cheap...

just keep backups of your important work (like on usb cards or on removable harddrives)