Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

At face value, how much is peace worth?

Update:

Sorry Ultraviolet dear, "All the tea in China" does work as a wish. But I have a problem with all the goods we buy labeled, "Made In China". I long for the days when the lable said "Made in Japan" Nowadays anything with a lable that says "Made In The USA" should be bagged, preserved and used as future evidence.

Update 2:

ephod07. We are talking "Pearl of Great Price".

Update 3:

Lodi, great point, it is relative. How can you know what true peace is unless it eventually happens? Then, how will you know it is real?

Update 4:

Art, You know essence.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Not much, if wish to translate it to a dollar value. Only the dead are safe and at peace. How much do you want to say you are right about anything? The letters of war spell, "We Are Right!"

When mankind's spiritually matures then it maybe possible for spirituality to overcome materialism. Then after a few centuries, peace may become the new paradigm of world civilization. By spirituality, I don't mean weekly attending church mouthing rote prayers, dissembling platitudes and wearing "sunday go to meeting" clothes. I mean where you communicate directly with God (whatever you concieve God to be) constantly from the heart to the heart, soul to soul. Peace is free and always available, the hard part is "doing it" or at least trying.

Personal peace is always available. On a social level, it starts getting difficult, because when a concensus must be reached to do anything, then everybody in that unit must believe something, even if it is just that the group is right. What happens when any group believes they are right about anything? They say, "We Are Right!"

There are enough of these groups that become fanatical crazies to the point that their "We Are Right" must overcome all the others claiming the same thing. On a group level, this is where fanatics of Christianity become KKK or fundamentalist Islamists become al-queda or anything. Judgement stops thought. That is how the NAZIs juggernauted throughout Europe etc., until enough people said, "Wait a sec, Adolph, we disagree..."

Many people believe in a Holy book such as Koran, Bible or Bagavad-Gita etc., and all of them state the same tenets basically to love God, your neighbor and yourself. Those books explain that in the form of Commandments. One of them is God's favorite and most ignored, "Thou shall not murder/kill." To accomodate the exigencies of the material world and "their" particular way of life, it got worked over. At first they took little liberties such as interpreting it as "don't murder your family & friends" then "don't murder those of your faith" and so on. If fact, there is only one true commandment: love God. If you love God, then you could not possibly break any of the other commandments. Such a depth of spirituality requires a maturity beyond mankind's current state.

Humankind tends to be materialistic and many in a crass and vulgar way. The world economy is based on this. Peace is nor profitable nor fun (in a materialistic way). Humankind requires the anomy of striving for something, the challenge of surviving and cannot tolerate peace because this would require control of their ego, place in society and a different structure placed on "self".

Humankind has always had the resources to ensure hunger and want need not be prevalent throughout the planet. What happens when a virus or microbe or animal colony is fed? They reproduce:more mouths to feed, bodies to train & brains to teach. We are pretty much there. A majority of this planet live and eat in relative peace & comfort. So are you willing to give up your car, ipod, laptop or TV to feed a village for a year? Not really necessary.

People have died, will die and will always die. Humankind is basically one soul that has many material connections. What family, tribe, or civilization you belong to is only your belief. Your human body is like a coat of many colors, your soul is eternal: while your soul is eternal: your coat is not eternal. If you are going from A to B, you may tear a patch on your coat: do you toss away the entire coat for a tiny tear on your journey through inhospitable weather?

War & poverty will always exist. There will be those you can help along in humankind's journey and many you cannot help, but keep your center and continue your journey. Peace will evolve in its inevitable way in due course, just don't hold your breath. Help as many as you can on your journey and don't be ashamed nor grieved to accept help either: just move forward on your journey.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

We gave up some of our country to the white men, thinking that then we could have peace. We were mistaken. The white man would not let us alone.

Chief Joseph

Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances.

Mohandas Gandhi

Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans - born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace.

John F. Kennedy

Peace may very well be a delusion in this world; but if it were possible, I would give my life so that the world could have peace.

Me

• 1 decade ago

At face value, peace is not worth very much.

If you take into consideration that most (if not all) technological advances are made related to warfare (radios, flight, the internet to name a few).

I think peace is very limited in scope. Peace would only be possible if every human on earth worked toward it, and have you ever seen anything large that didn't have it's percentages?

Peace, in the end, would be great, but impossible.

Source(s): I don't meant to be such a bummer, I just like to look at things honestly.
  • 1 decade ago

Peace is what everyone is looking and hoping for but they don't get it 100% only a sense of feeling that it is and for that very reason causes everyone to keep hollering about it. In a way it is good. Being phylosophical about it makes the meaning of peace seems so exciting and inviting. Try listen to the silent. If one is lucky one may get to know a little about peace. There are many forms of silence in the silent but only one silence in the silent have the trade mark of peace. That's how it is about peace....very elusive but real.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • LodiTX
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Well, I would say that is relative, isn't it? It depends on what you value, and if you value it more than peace. Really, it is immaterial, because there has never been peace, even if you loosely define peace as an absence of war, but I think that it is much more than that.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Secular "peace" is a false construct. Jesus said that "before kingdoms can change, MEN must change."

Thus, only Jesus can bring peace to the hearts of men, through repentance, salvation, love and justice. Once that happens, only THEN can men change. Peace begins as a transaction between Christ and sinners, not as a worldly set of policies or civic injunctions.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Depends. "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the cost of chains and slavery?"

Source(s): Paine.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

all the tea in China

• 1 decade ago

It is well worth living with, but it is not worth it if the other person has an ulterior motive.

• mertev
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

expensive than war

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.