Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

What is wrong with my computer?

My computer and internet have been acting weird lately. Like, sometimes my browser will become unresponsive and I'll lose connection to the internet (which makes no sense since I have DSL), and when it rains I cannot connect to the internet.

What is really odd, though, is what happens before it stops responding; I can't open more than 2 tabs at a time (I use IE7) and when I got into another tab, it gets rid of my menu bar and Yahoo! toolbar. What's up?

I have Bellsouth DSL, 384 kb/s, and I recently did an IP passthrough (took down the server's firewall). The modem is a Westell.

My computer is a Dell, Windows XP, 3.1 GHz, 512 MB/RAM. I can assure you that everything is hooked up properly from the computer to the modem.

Yes, my computer is completely decked out in Antivirus Software.

I have Spybot S&D which is constantly setting restore points and scanning my system with TeaTimer.

I have Norton Antivirus which provides Internet Security, Intrusion Prevention, AntiSpam, AntiVirus, etc.

And I have AdAware, which I rarely use since S&D has all it's features and more.

The only thing I don't have is a firewall, which has been turned off and given an IP Passthrough by choice.

Favorite Answer

"and when it rains I cannot connect to the internet."

Call Bellsouth, you have line problems. There is a problem with their telephone lines outside of your house. Explain to them, when it rains my DSL cannot connect to the internet.

• John

That's funny, I have Bellsouth too, and have had just about the exact same problem for awhile now. I tried just about every solution, before finding out that sometimes you can get sporadic (sp?) DSL service if there's a split in your outside phone line, and/or electronic interference coming from another device (sometimes it can even be a device in a neighbor's house if you live close together.) My advice would be to move any other electronic devices away from the modem (cordless phone, etc) , and if that doesn't work, get your phone line checked (I still need to have mine checked).

Sorry, I know this isn't too helpful, but that's the only possibly solution I know of. :)

Edit:

Also, here's a link to a forum where someone else had the same problem basically:

http://www2.dslreports.com/forum/r18754338-trouble...

well you might have some adware or spy ware on your computer, but heres something you can try go to contol Panel-(theres 2 things to do here, One go to the Internet options and check the things you want ans stuff, Another is to go on network connections) when in network connections go to the one you use to connect to the internet, and right click-Properties-then click Internet protocol (TCP/ip} and then go on properties, and then Make sure Obtain IP and DNS are both on Automatic.

good luck

My best guess is spyware/adware running in the background.

• Bill P

you didnt say if you had antivirus?

www.avast.com

spyware remover?

www.spybot.com

or popup blocker

Adaware.com

Maybe there's a trojan.